The mkiv Supra Owners Club

spark plugs

gaz1

when i take my sparkplug cover off, i see the coilpacks, there is a 10mm nut and a crosshead screw do i take both the nut and screw out, and then does the coilpack lift off easy or is it clipped, i just want to check my plugs as its running crap at the moment:(

There will be a 10 mm bolt (i think its 10) either side of the coil packs.(2 per coil pack)

Simply remove both bolts and lift out, note which sequence you removed them in.

Have you removed the 2 breather hoses and unclipped the plugs from the coil packs and shifted them out of the way first ?

Be careful with those bolts they can shear quite easily if you aren't easy with them.

There will be a 10 mm bolt (i think its 10) either side of the coil packs.(2 per coil pack)

Simply remove both bolts and lift out, note which sequence you removed them in.

Have you removed the 2 breather hoses and unclipped the plugs from the coil packs and shifted them out of the way first ?

Be careful with those bolts they can shear quite easily if you aren't easy with them.

jeez think i will leave it to the proffessionals, probably end up breaking something:rolleyes: , i thought it was a case of pulling and pushing:)

Its not a hard job Gaz really ! undo the bolts,undo the clips then pull and wiggle . I was Just giving you a bit of fore warning as i have snapped one of those in the past.:(

If it is running rough, have a look at the condition of the plastic plugs that connect either side of the coil packs to check their condiditon.

They are known to get brittle over time and cause running problems.

They are about £5 each from Mr T.

Its not a hard job Gaz really ! undo the bolts,undo the clips then pull and wiggle . I was Just giving you a bit of fore warning as i have snapped one of those in the past.:(

If it is running rough, have a look at the condition of the plastic plugs that connect either side of the coil packs to check their condiditon.

They are known to get brittle over time and cause running problems.

They are about £5 each from Mr T.

cheers col might have a look later, but what are the crosshead screws for

What are your sympthoms mate?

It is easy mate - The coil packs clip are held by push-in prongs that you squeeze with your fingers and pull off - carefully as they are fragile things - they may be cracked and broken already. Don't worry if they break apart, it's normal for them especially BPU+ because of the extra heat. If they do then when you put it all back together carefully push the pins into the coil pack, try and make sure the wires go in the right terminals until you get hold of new connectors.

The coipacks are held on by 2 10mm bolts as Col has said.

Damaged coil pack connector clips can cause rough running/misfiring. But sometimes they look physically ok.

Dodgy spark plugs can do the above.

Dodgy coil packs can do the above as well but unless physically damaged or contaminated by oil for example, you can only diagnose them properly with an automotive scope.

If it is misfiring, I would definitely renew the spark plugs and coilpack connector clips anyway.

on tickover it runs smooth in park or neutral, on tickover in d or r or 2 she ticks over rough, if i boot it she judders a lot while gaining, but if i increase boost very gently she will go and only miss now and again:(

cheers col might have a look later, but what are the crosshead screws for

There are two coil packs per BRACKET...the crosshead SCREWS hold each coil pack onto the bracket, that's all they do.

When you remove your coil packs, you remove the two BOLTS which secure the coil pack BRACKET to the head, thereby removing two packs in situ on their backet.

Betrter not to mess with the crosshead screws as the screws are very soft and tend to round off, and also the actual coil pack plastic under the screw can crack and the screw hole will split.

As so:

supra_1885_62981.gif