The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Car Problem! HELP!

jakewebster

Picked up my new (and 1st) Supra today! Was so pleased with it!

Its a J spec 95 TT auto, took it for a 5 minute spin and it was fine, next time when i stopped i got steam from the cooling system!:(

There was plenty water in the overflow (white tamk if im right) but the radiator itself was not full when i checked earlier!! i have tried letting it cool and topping it up but the same happens!!!

When its cold and running there is no bubbles coming up when the radiator cap is off, the oil is clean under the cap so hope its not the head gasket.

All i can think of is air trapped in the system or a sensor not working!!

Somebody please help! PLEASE! :search:

Any ECU warning lights? Doest the ECU light come on at ignition? (Big warning light in centre of the dial cluster)

Could just be thermostat? Worth getting a head gasket test done - very quick and cheap at most garages. If it is, then take it back to where you bought it and play hell.

Could be water pump? They're known to fail. Worth doing at the same time as a cambelt change. They're not outrageously priced.

The most common cause of this is old and leaking radiator cap, the rubber seals become brittle and perish over time and can no longer hold the pressure, causing the fluid to boil. Suggest you drain the system, refill and fit a new radiator cap.

I have brand new higher pressure (1.3kgf/cm2) TRD rad caps in stock, price £18.50 including postage.

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_radi-cap.html

The most common cause of this is old and leaking radiator cap, the rubber seals become brittle and perish over time and can no longer hold the pressure, causing the fluid to boil. Suggest you drain the system, refill and fit a new radiator cap.

I have brand new higher pressure (1.3kgf/cm2) TRD rad caps in stock, price £18.50 including postage.

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_radi-cap.html

[qimg]http://trdparts.jp/english/image2/p_engine-rad-cap-n.jpg[/qimg]

Probably is worth trying a new Rad Cap anyway but to be honest if there is a Head Gasket problem then it'll still blow the Rad cap clean off no matter what Psi or Bar the Cap is capable of holding. I had 2 different Rad caps to choose from when mine went and one of them was a brand new Nismo cap rated of upto 1.5 bar of pressure, my head gasket went on the way back from Santa Pod and after pulling over lifting the bonnet to have a looksie my Rad Cap shot off and went about 30ft in the air. My friend and I nearly S**t ourselves and then saw the funny side of it. We topped the car up with water another 4 times to get us home and it blew the cap of everytime again and again...

None Yet im affraid. Got it booked in for a pressure check on tuesday so that may come up with some answers.

No mot from a garage, I imported it myself!

I was so pleased with it too, was the cleanest one ive seen and drove so nicely!!! No noises from the engine either so im hoping its not the cylender head!!!!:rolleyes:

The warning light on the dash under the 4 on the rev counter is on now!! Whats the symbol mean?

Its the orange triangle with an exclimation mark in it.

Pleas help!!! I want to get her out for a drive!!!:(

I would probably just get the car checked over by a professional sooner rather than later just to give you peace of mind and diagnose it....