The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dump valve on a Auto question....

Jim_1979

Does the dump valve go off between gear changes... ala manual ... or only when on boost and you let off the gas??

If it doesn't go off etc... where does the boost pressure go between changes? Also in theory should the Auto not be faster as the turbo is always spinning??

Ingnore me if I'm talking pish!! .... lol.

Cheers

because you get bigger drivetrain loses on a auto;) i think:D

and that too, the auto is a lot easier to go fast in as it does everything for you just plant the foot, although the manual is the true drivers car, it'll definately be quicker with the correct gear shifts!

It would also depend on how your dump valves are set up and what psi they release at !

Autos dont dump between gear changes because the power is always on unless you take your foot off. Tis true auto's should be quicker but as someone said its due to loss of power through the torque converter/drivetrain

speaking of dumpvalves i have a video of a supra with a really nice sounding dump valve, my putfile doesent work so wondering if someone can host it for me so i acn find out which one it is?

if I absolutely floor mine from a standing start you can hear it between the first and second gear change, otherwise you need to let off to really get the effect.

Mine too :blink: thought something was wrong with it!

Why, when on the second turbo and you let of the throttle quickly do you only get a small short dump? If boosting hard on 2nd turbo I only get a large dump if I let off the throttle a bit gentler?