The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox kickdown question....

Jim_1979

Curious as to when the autobox decides to kickdown. Does it only do it if you plant your foot to the bottom, or accelerate hard? Is there a little switch under the accelerator which activates the kickdown??

Also, sometimes I've noticed that something under the accelerator pedal pushes back against you?? (or that's how it feels?!)

Thanks for any info on this!!

Its best to use "2" when going down twistey bends my friend, The OD button just scraps 4th gear so it goes through the other 3 with higher revs....

How the hell does kick down work in manu mode then????

Say you're pootling along at 30mph in third in MANU and kickdown so you click the switch, I guarantee the car WILL kickdown. I don't know why, perhaps its a built in safety feature, but it does do it. :shrug:

Its best to use "2" when going down twistey bends my friend, The OD button just scraps 4th gear so it goes through the other 3 with higher revs....

How the hell does kick down work in manu mode then????

No No No! :)

This is why the guy should do a search. The revs do not increase at all when OD is turned off! It simply turns off 4th gear, therefore the cars top speed will be about 120 mph. OD off is useful if you are driving on roads where the car constantly changes between 3rd and 4th. Also, if you are about to overtake someone doign a fare speed, if you slam your foot down and then pull out, the car may kickdown to 3rd and 'could' cause the back end to step out, not good! by turning OD off and already being in third, the revs and boost would have already risen and it will give you a smoother over take.

lol.. thot I'd get that....

Cheers

Manual does just that it makes L first gear, 2 second gear and d third gear there is no 4 th gear, in auto d would change gear as the box sees fit but in manual you go through the rev range and change up and down between the 3 gears by moving the stick, i usually launch in man ual and once in d engage auto again and have overdrive. You need to press the button on the side to engage Low when changing down but can move through the other gears without doing this, also best to change up about 1000 revs from limiter as it is uneasy, you can change up keeping your foot to the floor no need to lift off throttle.As has been said overdrive just adds 4th gear increasing top speed potential and fuel economy but not acceleration.

cheers

Matt

The kickdown on NA's is controlled by a cable going to the gearbox, it moves at the same rate as the accelerator cable, hence when you stamp on the pedal it kicks down for you.

TT's have some sort of electronic trickery controlling it.

When I fitted a new throttle body, I had a right job fitting the kickdown cable on and to make it work.

Arsebiscuits