The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine bay

grahamc

Ok guys, I have decided that the dirty, grubby old engine bay has to go, and I want to paint a load of the plastic items and some of the smaller metal items.

Items I want to paint:

strut brace mounts (metal)

fan cover (plastic)

lexan engine cover

fuse boxes - small & large (plasitc)

battery clamp (metal)

radiator clamps (metal)

windscreen wiper arms (metal)

What is the best way to get it all done?

Is it worthwhile trying to do it myself? What are the sorts of things that I will need to get? What type of paint? Can I use spray paint?

What about engine bay heat?

Thanks!

In my old one i painted the spark plug cover, fan shroud, air vent (in front of the fan shroud), both fuse box covers, radiator clamps, battery clamp and bonnet stay. For the plastics i made sure they were sanded first and smoothed off with wet and dry, plenty of plastic primer, few coats of ordinary paint out of a tin from halfords followed by some clear. Everything was out of a tin and very easy to do, just give it time to dry in between each coat. For the metal parts i just used Zinc primer, paint and clear. If im honest though the metalwork didnt really work all that well as it started to chip quite easily but still looked quite good. Have a look in my sig for pics.

personally i dont like the "spray everything because i can" look, the black covers can look good and understated, to me every bit of plastic sprayed looks totally over the top and gives the engine that noddy car look, my engine doesn't look like this anymore but you get the idea

engine 004.jpg

personally i dont like the "spray everything because i can" look, the black covers can look good and understated, to me every bit of plastic sprayed looks totally over the top and gives the engine that noddy car look, my engine doesn't look like this anymore but you get the idea

It looks good mate, but imagine how good it would look if those 3 main items were painted blue to match... AWESOME!

I wonder if anyone can paint shop your picture so we can see all blue....??

:eyebrows:

Ok Paul, what pipes can be replaced with metal ones easily in the engine bay, to save painting all of them?

Radiator

Intake (sensors?)

I have a fmic with hard pipe kit on my shopping list, so not concerned about that.

EDIT: How did you paint the the bottom section of the engine cover? The bit that sits in front of the cam gears?

Ok Paul, what pipes can be replaced with metal ones easily in the engine bay, to save painting all of them?

Radiator

Intake (sensors?)

I have a fmic with hard pipe kit on my shopping list, so not concerned about that.

EDIT: How did you paint the the bottom section of the engine cover? The bit that sits in front of the cam gears?

the cam cover was painted in VW dragon green with tins from halfords and a clear lacque on top, rub down with 800 grade wet and dry with a dash of flash

• 3 months later...