The mkiv Supra Owners Club

excess performance

fat_controller

ok thats that plan out the window. whats the cheapest route to achieve 550-600 bhp

If you find one tell me! Your looking at single turbo. The single turbo shopping list as defined by alex is below

Intake side

3" intake filter (cotton or paper type) could reuse stock filter box + pipework with silicon connectors to 3" turbo housing. (Should be in any budget single kit)...UK or VVTi's will need to couple the MAF back into the intake unless you're using an EMS that allows you to remove it.

A 2 or 3 Row FMIC OR a high quality brand new SMIC + piping from the turbo to the IC...again should be included in the kit.

Intake manifold - Stock

Breather system - Fully closed - boss needs to be welded into the new intake pipe.

Idle control - Stock

BOV - Atmospheric for J-spec, Recirculating for VVTi or UK spec with a MAF - larger capacity required over stock.

Engine

Crank, rods, pistons, rings, bolts, bearings - stock, upto 600BHP.

Cams - stock - though a good idea

Ignition system - NGK BKR7E's gapped to .7mm or BCPRES's gapped to 0.7 or Desno IK24's or NGK BKR7(or 8)EIX's (last two are pregapped).

Oil system - Stock, but it would be advisable to get a gauge and probe to monitor temp to help you decide if you need an additional cooler.

Drivetrain

Clutch - Stock till over 500 at the fly. HPF Bronze/Southbend DXD-F are good replacements.

Autobox - stock but higher stall might be required if you like drag racing...3400 or something like that.

LSD - essential you have a stock one...and consider the TRD LSD when you have more cash.

Exhaust side

Downpipe, centre section, back box - supplied with the kit - usually 3"

Turbo itself - T61 sized non DBB - DBB's add cost though needing a water supply.

Manifold - Cast Manifold...far cheaper than the tubular ones...BUT you'll always wish you had gotten a tubi. (I know I did)

Wastegate - a decent one - 44mm or larger. HKS/TIAL are proven bits of kit.

Oil lines - supplied

Fuel system

Tank, pump(s), wiring, hoses - One Walbro pump, the rest can be stock

Fuel rail - Stock will suffice with drop in 650's

Injectors + resistor pack - 650's with no resistor pack needed - J-spec and VVTI!

Fuel pressure regulator - Stock

Fuel pulsation dampener - Leave it in

Electronics

ECU/fuel controller - E-Manage Blue/eManage Ultimate/FCon-EZ (I'd have the EMU)

Ignition timing control - E-Manage Blue/eManage Ultimate/FCon-EZ (I'd have the EMU)

Things not on the list but you wouldn't go near a single turbo engine if it didn't have them

Gauges - AFR, EGT, Boost

Boost controller - Yes - Blitz or Turbosmart

the thread is here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=71083&page=2&highlight=single+shopping

Price wise because i'm doing it at the moment and budget i'm upto about £4000.

500-600 bhp is easy. It's maintaining that in a working car that's the hard and expensive part.

He never meantioned "easy" he said "cheapest". Give the car to a trader and let them do all the work, yes that is easy....paying for it is another matter :)

Could anyone elaborate on why the xspower stuff isnt any good? As far a I know I have their T60 turbo, FMIC and external wastegate and it runs sweet and been reliable the second I drove it away from the workshop too. As weell as that there is afew high powered supes running some of the XS kit too with no probs either.

Edited: - On the power gains note, its almost doubled what my stock NA was running so I cant see why thats bad? Unless its differet for a TT?

As for the custom work/missing parts I wouldnt know becuase I didnt fit it.

I have a guaruntee from the garage so if anything does occur its covered.

Im more than happy with it and its bloody qck, but I guess its personal preferance. Some people may of had bad experiences with them in the past, I dont know.