The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dumb question about autos

Schtuv

OK - I'm not the most technical/car person in the world, but I kinda get how things work, and I know I could probably look this up, but I've been wondering:

Automatic gearboxes use torque converters to drive a car forwards, and don't have a clutch installed. I guess this is why your have automatic-forwards-creep when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

So what exactly goes on when you have the car in neutral or park? Yeah - I get the bit where 'Park' locks the wheels, but do P and N have a clutchy thing somewhere in the line that disconnects the engine from the wheels? I assume that revving the car in P or N won't cook the transmission oil, like holding the foot brake and accellerator when in drive?

There are something like five clutches in the non-turbo A340(e) box and seven in the turbo version. The clutches are used on gear changes and I suppose probably on engage/disengage of the engine too.

I would have thought your assumptions to be correct though.