The mkiv Supra Owners Club

getting a supra

Guest doc

hello,

I'm looking at getting a supra in the coming weeks as I have a insurance payout due.

Now, I don’t have the money to get a Twin Turbo model (well not a nice one) so I'm opting for the standard 3L auto instead.

I've seen some nice ones going for around the 4K mark, but tbh I'm unsure what the problem areas on a Mk 4 supra are. Obviously, timing belt, box, and the usual rust checks will be done but are there any specific "supra" problems that you have identified on your cars that I would have to look closely for?

any advice would be greatly received.

Also, for all you Renault owners, why not pop in to http://www.Retro-renault.com and say hello. Were a friendly bunch and our Technical expert Chris H Really is something else!

Regards

Doc

cheers matey, there are some nice cars in there.

found 1 or two that took my fancy. Just want the cheque to turn up in the post now so i can make a few offers. lol (always the way huh)

Well, I've owned and rebuilt Renault 19 16v's for the last 8 years, and tbh, they are getting slightly dated now. I'm still keeping my phase one as it will soon become a classic; however I fancied a new "toy", something a bit classier.

I've looked at skylines, RX7's, Evo 4's and Scooby’s. Out of them all the Supra seems to be the best buy. Ok 4 grand wont get me a good turbo'd one but it will get me a 60,000 mile N/A one with all the usual toys and veliside body kit.

It's also one of them cars you can’t fail to get a girl in to. LOL

:eyebrows: welcome the bad pionts are:-

you end the day with a supid grin that only the rest of supra driver know why!!:D

imyself drive an NA and it is great pulls like nowt and when your just cruising

plant ur foot down rev count hits 3500 you get your ASS kicked it just takes

off then life is a blurrrrrrrrrr!!!!

as for the girls cant say !!! ( girlfreind mite read;) )

gud hunting and take someone that know sooops with you !!!

yea, ever so slightly out of my price range tbh. I could push to 4.5 but thats about it.

cheers for the advice matey, obviously I can find mosty machanical issues with any car but as you say, owning/knowing the car has its advantages.

I've got 3 weeks off in norfolk at the moment so I've plenty of time to potter about to find a nice one.

Thats a nice example. I'll keep him in mind when the cheque comes through, as I'm not in a position to make any offer just yet. (which isnt fair if someone is after a quick sale)

BTW has anyone heard of Bansai cars? they have a nice black one I was looking at, but as your all aware, some dealers are better than others.

BTW has anyone heard of Bansai cars? they have a nice black one I was looking at, but as your all aware, some dealers are better than others.

lookedat these guys when i was looking for mine but heard bad tales if they true or not cant say, try search on subject!!

there are traders on here that will import for you !!! and they know there stuff

best advise i had was take ur time test drive lots, dogs and all then you get a feel for the car

or go to aution with some one buy direct

and good luck!!!

Cheers guys, I'll give Improting somethought.

Also, do you mean the crank oil seal pistonborke or is there a hylomar seal on the housing that decays?

BTW Prof monkey, I'm in Catterick Garrison. although for the nwxt 3 weeks I'm in Thetford in Norfolk for my leave.

Yes, I mean the front crank oil seal, at the bottom of the cam belt. Its a bit of an ass to check unless the stone tray under the car is taken off, but if you look carefully from the top you should be able to see if theres a problem. There are plenty of threads constantly circulating about crank case pressure causing this problem along with plenty of thoughts as to why this occurs