The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying of Jap Auction's or Not!

Lucas

Hi Guys and Girls,

Ok sure this has been asked before by all us newbie’s but can’t find it so here we go.

I am just starting on the road to buying a Supra and wanted to know if people have had experiences in buying their cars off Auction's in Japan through the likes of Bonsai cars and others. Or should you just go for ones already in the UK and pay that extra mark up from a trader, but then you get to see before you buy and all that stuff?

Cheers for any help.

Hi Guys and Girls,

Ok sure this has been asked before by all us newbie’s but can’t find it so here we go.

I am just starting on the road to buying a Supra and wanted to know if people have had experiences in buying their cars off Auction's in Japan through the likes of Bonsai cars and others. Or should you just go for ones already in the UK and pay that extra mark up from a trader, but then you get to see before you buy and all that stuff?

Cheers for any help.

Unless you go to places like Newera, Jurgen etc

Heard not good things about Bonsai ( not my opinion though) as have never bought from them

Forget it, there are so many people now "trading" as importers and given the good guys a bad name

tread very carefully.. especially the peeps on ebay Selling direct from Japan

yes very cheap to but over there,

TT about 3.5 - £4k sells in UK for around £7-10k

n/a start at about 2k sell in UK for anything £4 - 7k

But remember you have reg fees , import tax , SVA if needed, Parts to convert to UK SPEC and all the labour to fit the parts ... blah blah blah.

Leave it to the experts and buy from a GOOD importer

best advice i was given

Try my friends at http://www.autobmc.co.uk

Have a word with Norman, they are 100% genuine, with full facilities

Genuine cars, sensible prices, full facilities and a buyer based in Japan

Family business with family values.... with them its not just about profit and money!!! its a passion

He can source a car to your specification and at a price that you can afford

Only grade 4 - 4.5 are purchased

Put it this way as a family we've had 7x import cars off them... and my Companies vehicle fleet go there for all our servicing

Or should you just go for ones already in the UK and pay that extra mark up from a trader, but then you get to see before you buy and all that stuff?

I'd get one thats here already and from a private seller. Phone and ask them where they got theirs from, it may well be a one owner from import car, with recent history.

With the best will in the world an importer can only go so far in finding out how good a car is or isn't. I don't think they get to drive them pre auction just have a good look at them. So problems can arise very early on after import. If you buy one already here it will have had these things sorted by now, ok it may now have other wear and tear issues but it being actually here means you can actually check these out and haggle the price accordingly.........

Why ,did you buy your aerotop from there?

Unfortunately i did. Dont want to do the whole saga on here just yet but i am trying to keep my eyes peeled for peeps thinking about buying from them on here.

Dont get me wrong i have a good car, just not in the condition i agreed to buy it in and they wont put it right. I have even gone down the legal path but been advised it will cost me more than the value of the works so prob best not to bother. grrrrr They will pay in the end, of that i am sure:eyebrows:

I met Miguel from Newera a few weeks ago, nice guy and he's popular with the Skyline boys.

Personally I'd only buy a car if it was there in front of me, and I had a bag of cash and a seller that wanted to do a deal. I had a car imported from Japan and it was a nightmare from start to finish. Came weeks later than they said it would, and when they took it out of the crate it was the wrong colour ! The whole experience put me off.

TT about 3.5 - £4k sells in UK for around £7-10k

n/a start at about 2k sell in UK for anything £4 - 7k

3-4K? Maybe for grade 1 autos, They are cheap down there but not that cheap, Jurgen doesnt charge a great deal in fees yet his Supe TT's are usually 8k+ and are always in top condition.

Cheapest Manual i could find was for around 7 k ( grade 3.5).

Well sounds like a mixed bag from you guys then.

So at the end of the day importing one you get a bigger selection to pick from and it can save you money but then you don’t get to try before you buy, So then go down the route of buying one already here but that also as its possible problems. I guess at then end of the day you are all ways going to have people that have both good and bad experience’s buying cars either of these ways.

3-4K? Maybe for grade 1 autos, They are cheap down there but not that cheap, Jurgen doesnt charge a great deal in fees yet his Supe TT's are usually 8k+ and are always in top condition.

Prices have rocketed in recent weeks due to the Russians

My friend has just returned from Japan, out seeing his buyer,

They went to a auction and prices are rocketing due to huge demand from Russia of all places !!!

Perhaps the cheap price days are coming to an end,

Generally speaking TT's are getting to be quite a find now over in Japan,

Fetching silly money especially now the states are prepared to pay up to $90.000 for one...

Well sounds like a mixed bag from you guys then.

So at the end of the day importing one you get a bigger selection to pick from and it can save you money but then you don’t get to try before you buy, So then go down the route of buying one already here but that also as its possible problems. I guess at then end of the day you are all ways going to have people that have both good and bad experience’s buying cars either of these ways.

Its very regulated, if its a true Grade 4 to 4.5 you don't need to see it as you know it will be good..

Problems start when they arrive here in the UK and the muppets get hold of them and start clocking them etc etc

Japan is a safe place to buy from as there are so many regulations etc

I'd prefer to buy an import from Japan rather than one that has been in the UK already and say been here a year or two, thats when you have problems..

Good importer WITH JAP BASED BUYER = no problems

Manual TT or NA?

I'm going on what my mate has previously paid out there

But and a big but the prices are rocketing weekly due to Russia !!! buying up everything

NA's up mega cheap Man or Auto

He only buys grade 4 - 4.5

FTO's grade 4 - 4.5 anything £2k upwards

He has a buyer based out there so perhaps he gets better prices???

No one would buy a car less than grade 4.

Japan is a safe place to buy from as there are so many regulations etc

I'd prefer to buy an import from Japan rather than one that has been in the UK already and say been here a year or two, thats when you have problems..

er what sort of problems would a car have a couple of years after importing?

IMO you can get a similar spec car for the same and often less money than importing one, and you get to see and drive it before you buy.

If you want specific spec like a black TT manual it may be quicker/easier to import though.

If you go the import route Jurgen is well regarded on here so that wouldnn't be a bad option......