The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra,RX7,GTO or Mustang GT to buy?

Guest khyberpass

Guest khyberpass

I'm new to site as I'm researching each of the possible cars above. You guys seem to be straight up in your comments and views... can I have your opinions?

Narrowed down the above choice of cars for wife....must be auto model and looking at 94-96 age for 1st 3....can get a 97-00 in last one ?

What would you go for?

I'm split.....with my personal views below (based on some feeback already):

Looks - RX7, GTO, Supra, Mustang

Interiors- Mustang, GTO, Supra, RX7

Performance -RX7, Supra, Mustang, GTO,

Reliability- Mustang, GTO, Supra, RX7

Economy-GTO, ,Supra, RX7,Mustang (incl tyres/fuel/insurance)

Fun to Drive -RX7, Mustang(traction off!), Supra ,GTO,

Scoring 4 for top and 1 for bottom, it gives me following;

GTO - 15 points

RX7- 16 points

Supra - 14 points

Mustang - 15 points

Heart says RX7; head says GTO/Supra, ears say Mustang...

Look forward to your views ?!

Cheers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The GTO is big, heavy, complicated and prone to failure. When it does go wrong, it's expensive to fix. I wouldn't touch one.

I love RX7's, great fun to drive. They're thirsty though, and you need to look long and hard for a good one as they don't like to be abused.

Mustang - Not my thing.

Supra - Had one for 7 years, just about sums it up really. :)

Looks - Supra (easily) RX7, GTO, Mustang

Interiors- Supra (Gibson & Boyne), Mustang, GTO, RX7

Performance -Supra (BPU), RX7, Mustang, GTO,

Reliability- Supra, Mustang, GTO, RX7

Economy- Fiesta diesel

Fun to Drive -Supra, RX7, Mustang(traction off!), GTO,

Best Owners Club - Supra,

Most helpful members - Supra,

Best forum - Supra

Best overall choice...... SUPRA :D

Fords have better interiors than Toyotas too? C'mon fella. :)

Performance wise the Supra is the top of that list by a long shot, unless you want to do a lot of track racing, so the RX7 would be a great choice for that.

Do they even do Auto RX7s?

I wouldnt go for a GTO test drove a turbo when I was thinking of getting one, however it felt slower than my NA supra, yeah they do look good but are far too common and are also very unrelaiable. The RX7 is a lovly car real good fun and very much a drivers car however quite expensive to service and keep running. The Mustang not sure on these but I am told the handling is poor and they weigh loads. The Supra I feel is the best alrounder ok its a bit chubby on the weight side, but it has looks, cheaper to run than the others, its rare, very reliable and also has great road holding.

At the end of the day its your choise and I am sure you will be happy with what you go for.

Guest RichJ

I also had a look at RX-7's and GTO's at the same time as looking at Supra's. From my searching around I was put off by common and expensive parts failures on the GTO and I didnt find it as pleasing to the eye as the Supra. I heard pretty much the same with the RX-7 although I think it is better looking car than the GTO.

In the end I went for a Supra as by all accounts they are the most reliable and I felt it looked best. I am very pleased with my choice as its a joy to drive and everytime I park it up and get out I have a smile on my face.

GTO would be bottom of the list for me, for many reasons!

I love mustangs, but TBH if it isn't a '67 I wouldn't bother. I'd only have a mustang for the sound and the modern ones don't sound anywhere near as good as they should.

I LOVE RX7s, never driven one and would be worried about reliability (and cost of oil changes!!), but they do look gorgeous and I'd definitely consider it.

BUT, I've been thinking recently about cars (having sold mine and driving a Yaris!!), and I keep coming back to the Supra. If I won lots of money the first place I'd come is onto this forum, to ask for a nicely set up T61 for sale, CW suspension set up, LOTS of time mapping on the rollers, subtle bodykit = ultimate car!

Looks - Supra (easily) RX7, GTO, Mustang

Interiors- Supra (Gibson & Boyne), Mustang, GTO, RX7

Performance -Supra (BPU), RX7, Mustang, GTO,

Reliability- Supra, Mustang, GTO, RX7

Economy- Fiesta diesel

Fun to Drive -Supra, RX7, Mustang(traction off!), GTO,

Best Owners Club - Supra,

Most helpful members - Supra,

Best forum - Supra

Best overall choice...... SUPRA :D

Amen!!!!

the supra has the looks, the tunability, the performance, the reliability that other cars can only dream of.

but it scores badly on fuel economy (but you don't get something for nothing, it is a high powered car after all!). Get a run around if fuel cost is an issue, same goes for the others, an RX7 drinks fuel like anything for example!

Well being new to this forum also I am in the same boat as you when it comes to buying a car.

I have already made up my mind to go for a Supra but I was knocking around the idea of a RX7 or a Skyline. At the end of the day no one can make the decision for you. Its down to personally choice and supra is the one for me.

LOL Strikes me as the wrong place to come for an unbiased opinion:p

I'm willing to bet the other forums would say the same as us that the Supe is the best choice (although not quite as 'to the point').

All but the Mustang owners would say the Supe is most reliable, all but the Mustang owners would claim they were just a tuneable; but wouldn't mention the costs involved!! I'm sure they would all claim better looks and interiors but that's a personal opinion. Economy shouldn't even be questioned with any of these cars TBH!! As for fun to drive, they all have plus points - the Supe and Rex would be similar and dependant on mods, the GTO is a different beast altogether (very fast off the line apparently ;) ), Mustang would be fun no doubt but probably not as fast round a track (handling wise) - I'm sure all the owners would agree on all these 'facts'.

Skyline, every time :D

Seriously

Looks - Supra, Mustang, RX7, GTO

Interiors- Never really taken much notice of the others. The Supra is OK though

Performance -Difficult one ;) Supra, RX7, Mustang, GTO, but I would only tolerate an auto in the Supra, maybe the Mustang.

Reliability- Supra, Mustang, RX7, GTO

Economy-Who cares :D

Fun to Drive -Supra, RX7, Mustang, GTO, again, who cares if its the wife's car :)

If I couldn't have a manual RX7, I wouldn't bother, but its a great drivers car. Nice twitchy handling, point and squirt :D

Late Mustangs look cool, and sound good with the right exhaust, but I wouldn't swap the Supra for one.

GTO is too complicated and very expensive to fix when it goes wrong

I agree with Trev, about the Mustang, although I'd probably go up to about a '69 :D either a 390, or Boss 429 ;)

My shortlist alternatives would be

skyline, rx7 and I wouldn't even consider the rest!!

but, unfortunately I don't really like the looks of either!!! A fully kitted skyline is ok, but that's a lot of money, the base car leaves me cold and I could never get enthusiastic about it. Both good cars with excellent capability though

One thing comes to mind - why are you after a mad sports car for your wife? if you are buying something like this shouldn't it be her choice?

Just wonderin'

m.

lol good point ;)

When I read the shortlist and the GTO come out top I just spat my pasta salad all over my laptop!

IMHO, a GTO I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. We've contstantly got them in for extensive and expensive work! The look OK, but the interior, build quality etc etc are poor.

Like the others have said RX7 or Skyline would be the only alternatives to a Supra, but for very different reasons.

Gaz.

When I read the shortlist and the GTO come out top I just spat my pasta salad all over my laptop!

IMHO, a GTO I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. We've contstantly got them in for extensive and expensive work! The look OK, but the interior, build quality etc etc are poor.

Like the others have said RX7 or Skyline would be the only alternatives to a Supra, but for very different reasons.

Gaz.

Totally agree with Gaz on this one, as before I bought my supra I had a friend from work who had a GTO and raved about it. So I went test driving a couple and they all had small issues apart from one that broke down on the test drive. The thing literally went bang! Smoke everywhere! Then to top it off the dealer couldn’t get in touch with the garage so I had to get my wife to come and pick me and one very red face salesman up!!! Needless to say I didn’t buy that one and went and bought my Supra :)