The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insuring 2 cars - Anyone got experience

JamesArup

Hey peeps,

Does anyone here insure 2 cars? If so, what's the best way of doing it if I can only use my NCB on one car?

I currently have the Supra insured via Sky (loving the agreed value and like for like mods :eyebrows: ). But they don't seem to offer any sort of discount/allowance for a 2nd car. Although they do seem very willing to try and help as best they can.

I've been offered another car at a very good deal, and it may well be worth getting as a 'wet-weather' backup to the Supra. Probably doing less than 3000 miles a year. Any advice :question:

Cheers. J :thumbs:

p.s. I get the Supra back at lunch tomorrow (for sure this time!). 8 months later, full respray, fixed door, refurbed wheels, new headlights, new skirts etc etc. Will post pics as soon as I have it ..... can't wait :) :)

I've insured my second car with the same insurance company and convinced them to copy the NCB over for me. Not sure if Sky will do the same (you've probably already asked), but remember that you're the customer ;) Let them know that unless you can get a good deal on your second car you'll have to sell the soop :p hehe.

Looking forward to pics of your car :thumbs:

Hmmm, SKY did mention mirroring my NCB, but didn't seem too convinced. To be fair, it's not really a 'runaround'.... it's an Evo IV :innocent:

Cheers Supragal, I may try Sheltons. But I really don't want to lose the agreed value and like-for-like mod insurance that SKY offer .... plus it's cheap too. The (unmodified) Evo seems to cost a hell of a lot more than my heavily modified Supra to insure :rolleyes:

They also require at least 1 years experience of that 'type' of car too. Which is fine as I had the GTI-R for 2 years and I've had the Supra for 2 years too. Plus I drive the Skyline/TVR a lot as well ..... but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to prove that.

Cheers for all the advice ... good stuff :cool:

J

p.s. LeeT .. how do you go about getting the Supe on a classic policy? Mine is Dec 1995

How does a classic policy differ from a normal one? What sort of car do you need to qualify for one?

in all honesty i don't really know. It may have something to be with it being over 10 years old but mine is a UK spec too. Ive also ltd my mileage to about 5k per annum too

mirrored policies are dangerous! (but it depends what you want)

with a mirrored policy a crash in the run around looses you your no claims in both policies!

seperate policy x2 is more expensive to start with but youre hedging your bets. i had 2 seperate policies, then had a claim on supe n lost no claims, but because i had ncb on other car i used that for the supe, saved me a fortune.

dont get me wrong, an accident will still effect insurance because you have to declare accidents on all policies, but accidents and ncb are different and seperate.

on the classic insurance score, its basically a limited milage policy, no major cost/cover differences.

I have 2 policies with liv. Vic Sup & Rover runaround

Same discount 65% & terms on both, class 1 business use, even with inexperienced younger(24)driver on the second car.

They will even pass on the NCB to my other half after 2 years on a seperate policy.

I currently have 2 policies, one with Sky and the other with Elephant. I did get a quote from Sky based on the mirroring policy but it was still more expensive than Elephant. If you are just having a cheap runaround and arent bothered by things such as having modifications insured (which will be 99% of people on there cheap runarounds) then I would try Elephant.

Mark

Cheers Supragal, I may try Sheltons. But I really don't want to lose the agreed value and like-for-like mod insurance that SKY offer .... plus it's cheap too. The (unmodified) Evo seems to cost a hell of a lot more than my heavily modified Supra to insure :rolleyes:

Sorry. My Supra is with Sky. Sheltons mirror that NCB onto my Rover. They just needed written NCB proof from the main company. (Which was actually tesco at the time...)

Sorry. My Supra is with Sky. Sheltons mirror that NCB onto my Rover. They just needed written NCB proof from the main company. (Which was actually tesco at the time...)

you do realise that if you had a (fault) accident in the rover it would ruin your supe ncb dont you?

if the ncb is only saving you a few quid on the rover it might be better insuring it from scratch n building another ncb.

when you drive a import supe (aka an insurers wet dream) its worth having 2 lots of ncb imho.

...but if you're an insurance company they say they need to know if you have had any accidents or claims on ANY policy.

It's all a bloody con.

read my first post, :rolleyes: :D

NCB and accidents are totally different, crazy as it is you can be the most accident prone person in the country and still have full no claims, and still be entitled to the same percentage discount.

...of course the original figure before you get the percentage off will depend upon actual accident record though.

personally, i got stung with the mirrored no claims thing, if it's only gonna save you a few quid on the run around, DONT DO IT! - Unless youre definately not ever going to have an accident :D