The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Life is good

ry4n

As some of you know last week I bought Steve single's TT 6 speed and so far It's a dream come true. But I'm all too aware that that this car may bite me in the a**e if I lose respect for her. so with this being my first RWD car, and after reading Niallrussel@ho's unfortunate thread about crashing his car (gutted for you Mate:( ) I was wondeing if You guys could tell me the do's and dont's of supra driving. Because the last thing I want is to stack my new baby into a tree because I don't know the basics.

As some of you know last week I bought Steve single's TT 6 speed and so far It's a dream come true. But I'm all too aware that that this car may bite me in the a**e if I lose respect for her. so with this being my first RWD car, and after reading Niallrussel@ho's unfortunate thread about crashing his car (gutted for you Mate:( ) I was wondeing if You guys could tell me the do's and dont's of supra driving. Because the last thing I want is to stack my new baby into a tree because I don't know the basics.

Dont ever ever boot it on in the wet, in a straight line or round a bend unless you have RLTC

Just be sensible in the wet and resist temptation when other cars challenge you in the wet ;)

very wise words and so true.....lots of cars will have a ton more grip in the wet, ive had to do this so many times in the past and belive me cars always seem to challenge you more when its raining for some reason

Find a suitable place to test it out. Maybe a track day or airfield type meet. Not good for your tyres etc, but a relatively safe environment to explore the limits of yourself and the car.

Best advice so far
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

Maybe we should explore the possibility of a safety day given recent accidents and even death of a club member.

Perhaps we could get those advanced driving bods involved to spend half a day going through some advice sessions somewhere? There's a pretty good stretch of tarmac near Eccelshall (mids, close to motorway, central) that some of the "Drive a Ferrari/Porsche/Lotus/Blah" type days use.

Give members a chance to explore their cars in a safe environment.

Maybe we should explore the possibility of a safety day given recent accidents and even death of a club member.

Perhaps we could get those advanced driving bods involved to spend half a day going through some advice sessions somewhere? There's a pretty good stretch of tarmac near Eccelshall (mids, close to motorway, central) that some of the "Drive a Ferrari/Porsche/Lotus/Blah" type days use.

That would'nt be such a bad idea, especially for supra-noobs like me

That's a really good idea. I know I've only got an NA but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to deal with it if the back end went etc. I didn't spend half my youth doing handbrake turns and the like, unlike Jon! :p

Eccleshall's really close to us as well so that would be spot on!

Don't boot it off roundabouts or corners. Keep an eye on your dash, the little green slip cont light means it is sensing wheel spin so ease off.

Keep your tires in tip top condtion, especially the rears.

Be progressive with the accelerator pedal (it isn't an on off switch ;) ) and smooth with your driving.

You will be fine, the fact that you have a slight fear is a good thing, you will be more likely to take things easy.

Luckly I had permission to use a large empty business estate car park when it was raining on the weekend once (only cos I was mates with the industrial estates owners’ son) it helped me work out what the limits in the car are in the wet and how to control it if it does happen.

The best thing to do is take it slow – that’s what I do now, I also make sure the 2nd turbo doesn’t come in cos that can be a problem to.

Ryan,

First wet day make sure you switch RLTC to WET. I know Steve had a very good wet DAT file (provided by Terminator) and he did some erm... interesting driving to test it.

Don't rely on it though. Drive sensibly knowing that it's there to help you when you overdo it.

Guest Griffo

and ALSO, if you'll excuse the interruption, do you chaps think the RLTC is a good idea for N/A motors too? Better safe than sorry i'd say, after my brother managed to spin his sodding 318 in the wet!

ryan.........

Not sure of your previous RWD experience but IMO you should learn how the car behaves without any traction control.

This way that day when, the DAT is corrupted, or you've forgotten that, its not on the wet setting, or that you turned it off yesterday at pod etc etc it won't leave you unable to react correctly.

and ALSO, if you'll excuse the interruption, do you chaps think the RLTC is a good idea for N/A motors too? Better safe than sorry i'd say, after my brother managed to spin his sodding 318 in the wet!

Up to you.........one thing though if the/your NA hasn't got ABS i believe it will be very expensive to do.

Dont know how old you are mate, but if you have your mates egging you on to push the car then thats another bad thing to do, it's your car and you have a love for cars and by showing off "ha ha look at me" will get your car written off, take care in the wet and if someone revs there engine at you just back away till you learn your limits, but the supra can snap away from you at anytime