The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aero top conversion

ross

Hey guys,

Got a six speed tt:D

We all know that the 6 speed tt aerotop is the holy grail of supras, and that they only made them for the states and in left hand drive (so i've been told).

Any idea how much it would cost to convert it to an aero top??

Also, what other things would i need to be considering, chassis stiffening etc.

Anyone know anyone who could do it and for how much?

We all know that the 6 speed tt aerotop is the holy grail of supras
Matter of opinion. I wouldn't have an aerotop Supra as a gift.

Why ruin the handling just to make it into a quasi-convertable?

Not that you'll ever do it anyway. Converting a hardtop into an aerotop is not a practical proposition. Like Jez says, converting an aerotop to 6-speed would be much easier.

Matter of opinion. I wouldn't have an aerotop Supra as a gift.

Why ruin the handling just to make it into a quasi-convertable?

Not that you'll ever do it anyway. Converting a hardtop into an aerotop is not a practical proposition. Like Jez says, converting an aerotop to 6-speed would be much easier.

Would it not be way more expensive though? Sourcing a gearbox and all associated parts etc.?

I suppose the best option if you were really keen on doing this would be to purchase an aerotop N/A and swap the bits around. Whatever you do its not going to be cheap.

Aero-topping your existing car would be a VERY bad idea. The factory ones are strengthened in places you wouldnt even think of! (there was actually a thread about this if you do a search)

Would it not be way more expensive though? Sourcing a gearbox and all associated parts etc.?

It will cost a bit to do a 6 speed conversion, but the aerotops need extra strenthening to firm up the chassis - you can't just cut the roof off and expect the car to stay in one piece :D

I have all the bits for a 6 speed conversion at a reasonable price, or you could make me an offer :vamp:

Guest gzaerojon
It will cost a bit to do a 6 speed conversion, but the aerotops need extra strenthening to firm up the chassis - you can't just cut the roof off and expect the car to stay in one piece :D

I have all the bits for a 6 speed conversion at a reasonable price, or you could make me an offer :vamp:

i need all these bits :) but not till i have a decent sized garage

out of interest how much were you thinking of?

Guest gzaerojon
Hey guys,

Got a six speed tt:D

We all know that the 6 speed tt aerotop is the holy grail of supras, and that they only made them for the states and in left hand drive (so i've been told).

Any idea how much it would cost to convert it to an aero top??

Also, what other things would i need to be considering, chassis stiffening etc.

Anyone know anyone who could do it and for how much?

like everyone has said, you will run into a dead end and would've ruined a perfectly good car in the process. the cheapest way that i would go is to buy an NA aerotop and swap everything around to make a tt aero, then at least you can sell yours as an NA auto and get a few squid back

just a thought :)

I gues if it was more straight forward you would see people with it done and i have not seen one or herd of one been done

one has been done before. It was one of Ibrars mates, i think it was a UK car he done it to. Also i know Michel Lane is looking into doing this at the moment