The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My battery wont stop draining

Guest blueangel

Guest blueangel

The supe is in the garage no lights on and the keys not in the ignition, None of the doors are ajar and the stereo and the gauges all turn off when the keys come out. So what could be draining the battery as i gave it a full charge the other day and next evening it was dead as a dodo.The battery is from halfrauds.

Mate do the following,

1.Get a Digital multimeter.

2.Set it to to read current (Ampere), you may need to adjust the DVM to read within range.

3.Disconnect the negtaive lead to the battery.

4.Disconnect the positive lead from the battery.

5.Place the DVM in series with the positive lead and the positive connection of the battery.

6.Reconnect the Negative lead to the battery.

If you see any current registered on the DVM , then something is drawing power, what you need to do then is to locate the fuse box in the engine bay, and starting from a point remove a fuse and see if it makes a difference to the amoung of current being drawn (i.e the amount being displayed drops close to zero), if it doesnt place the fuse back in its location and move on to the next one.

Good luck mate.

Mate do the following,

2.Set it to to read current (Ampere), you may need to adjust the DVM to read within range.

5.Place the DVM in series with the positive lead and the positive connection of the battery.

If you see any current registered on the DVM , then something is drawing power, what you need to do then is to locate the fuse box in the engine bay, and starting from a point remove a fuse and see if it makes a difference to the amoung of current being drawn (i.e the amount being displayed drops close to zero), if it doesnt place the fuse back in its location and move on to the next one.

Good luck mate.

Whilst doing the above, make sure all the doors a properly shut and the keys out of the car.

When you first re-connect the battery, I'd expect a few small surges as some of the ECU's come to life, (or maybe even large ones if you have an alarm on there), but after about a minute, you should have a nice low stable reading. Probably in the region of about 0.01 to 0.02 amps. this will fluctuate if an alarm or stereo has flashing led's

Mate do the following,

When doing this, set the multimeter to the highest amp range BEFORE connecting it. (i.e. if it has a 10A range and a 1A range, set it to the 10A range)