The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3 G Ultimate brake Discs are they good?

cntt

Hi

I'm not really looking to upgrade the brakes at the moment, just that when I got the car, the all 4 discs are in very bad shape, so I really need to replace them, and for me to get the stock ones here in Ireland, just cost too much, 600 euro for the 4, so I looked around and found that the 3 G Ultimate brake discs are little cheaper and its kinda an upgrade from stock

anyone know if they are any good? doesn't matter if they are not any different different to stock as long as they are not bad ones to go for, and if I do get them, what pads would be ideal to be use with them? or can I just use stock pads?

I am planing to upgrade the brake system in the future at some point when I'm going to start boosting with stage 2, so it doesn't really matter if they not the best choice to go for as long as they work for now.

thanks guys

I'd stick to stock discs and some of Chris Wilsons fast road pads. You have to be careful with aftermarket brakes, you get what you pay for and I wouldn't want anything sub standard on a 180mph car. Cost you a lot more to fix it if you crash...

3G or DBA discs are 2 very good options for the Supra. Combined with pads like Endless, make a big difference to braking, UK or J-spec.

Gaz.

what sort of prices are the discs and pads... UK spec brakes.

I have also, always gone for vented discs and uprated pads...

my uk full set cost me around 500 quid, red stuff pads work out around 150 quid for a full set, if your getting them fitted your not gona have much change from 700 i wouldnt think.

the grooves and dimples prob do nothing for performance there just a cosmetic bit (gona get told off here).

the fronts dont come with any type of finish, just greece... i cleaned up mine with meths then sprayed them with heat proof silver paint.( not on face of disk)

they bite realy well but too much braking causes dust so i couldnt tell you if they are any good when pushed..... oh tell a lie i had them on at jap fest in 05 and it had me hanging in the belts and the g meter was at over 1 G on de-seleration.

my uk full set cost me around 500 quid, red stuff pads work out around 150 quid for a full set, if your getting them fitted your not gona have much change from 700 i wouldnt think.

the grooves and dimples prob do nothing for performance there just a cosmetic bit (gona get told off here).

the fronts dont come with any type of finish, just greece... i cleaned up mine with meths then sprayed them with heat proof silver paint.( not on face of disk)

they bite realy well but too much braking causes dust so i couldnt tell you if they are any good when pushed..... oh tell a lie i had them on at jap fest in 05 and it had me hanging in the belts and the g meter was at over 1 G on de-seleration.

Pretty much what I am expecting... Plus some braided hoses and decent brake fluid.... should do the trick.

I thought that the vents and holes were for additional cooling, less space is able to retain heat, causing hot spots.

QUOTE=grahamc]Pretty much what I am expecting... Plus some braided hoses and decent brake fluid.... should do the trick.

I thought that the vents and holes were for additional cooling, less space is able to retain heat, causing hot spots.

holes help the cooling these arnt, ok they may help a bit but not a great deal.

holes on a really good disk help massively, but they have to be very good, a cheap disk with holes will just crack from uneven cooling.

heres my front disks....

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1297

Can vouch for the 3G 20GR Brembo Discs :) Im using them on the Aristo with a set of EBC Red Stuff Ceramic pads and i have to say the diffrence between this setup and stock is amazing!

Drove to Germany, did the Nur and drove back and they hardly wore at all :) Plenty of meat left on them and i never noticed any fade at any time. Highly recommended :)

Pretty much what I am expecting... Plus some braided hoses and decent brake fluid.... should do the trick.

holes help the cooling these arnt, ok they may help a bit but not a great deal.

holes on a really good disk help massively, but they have to be very good, a cheap disk with holes will just crack from uneven cooling.

heres my front disks....

[qimg]http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1297[/qimg]

And how are you finding them??

Definitely agree that quality makes the difference, whether they are drilled or not.

If I have anything above 400bhp, which is the plan, dodge brakes are not going to cut it.

All I can say on this thread is DO NOT buy Drilled discs. They will eventually crack. Even Brembo's.

Then why is that all the porsche come with drilled discs as standard?

Not trying to pick a fight, just interested, as drilled discs are on my shopping list for my supra, and want to understand why.

Then why is that all the porsche come with drilled discs as standard?

Not trying to pick a fight, just interested, as drilled discs are on my shopping list for my supra, and want to understand why.

Porsche discs aren't drilled, they are cast with holes, big difference.