The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why the Supra??

Jim_1979

Curious as to why everyone here actually owns a Supra... or what made you want one??

I personally had a Mr2 Turbo and the next step up for me was the Supra. The mr2 was the little brother, where the Supra was the big daddy!!! :)

Also curious as to what car, if any, you would consider instead of the supra (that you could actually afford).

The only car(s) at the moment I would consider would be an Evo of some sort or possibly a R32 GTR Skyline.

Had a Cavalier 1.6GL and went to buy a Calibra and found a mkiii turbo on the forecourt. Bought that and loved it. Coreplug went and couldnt be bothered sorting it so part-exd it for another Cavalier. Then few year later got a black mkiii turbo manual and started supras.co.uk with Andy Stallwood. Then got permission from my wife to buy a mkiv and bought an import. Eventually sold the mkiii. Then started mkivsupra.net. Then found a nice UK spec manual and bought that and sold the import and that brings me to where I am now. Uk spec 6speed single turbo.

So you all have the Vauxhall Calibra to be thankful for otherwise this site wouldnt be here. So next time you see one think how it could all have been different :) And I didnt so much choose a mkiv, it was a natural progression from a Cavalier 1.6GL.

JB

Most probably a Skyline next....

But I must admit I have fell in love with the wifes RX8 (She's now on No2 as they are that good!!) as an everyday use package.

Just needs a spolier and a few tweeks here and there, but the rotary is great fun to drive and the car is very smooth ...

If we are all really honest... The Supra is a great car but not a practical every day car on the whole..

Biggest issue is the poor boot space for such a large car .. but thats all really i could fault it on I suppose in all honesty,

Been done before, but still a fundimental forum question...

I've owned many Toyotas since I passed my test in 1980. Apart from the odd fling with a Jag / Scirroco / 205 GTI and a few Im too ashamed to mention, I've stayed faithful to the Celica / Supra family tree.

MkII came after a Celica ST, a couple of MKIIIs came after the MKII, so the MKIV was always going to happen. I lusted after one for years before I could afford one...this is my second, but probably not my last.

As to whats out there nowadays, there is nothing sub-Aston V8 I am remotely interested in, straight up, and I cant afford an Aston V8.

Well it all started for me with a Citroen ZX 1.9D and i loved the handling so bought a peugeot GTI 6 but it started breaking alot. This is where i got into jap cars by buying a new CTR but although it felt well built it was dull to drive compared to the GTI 6 and far too common so it got sold for a Uk T-bar Mr2. I did alot of work on this myself and liked the way the car felt in general but it was too slow. Que the supra idea in my head, after seeing one then test driving i was hooked but i bought an Aero NA first cos i was too scared of the tubbies blowing and wasn't sure of what i was getting into. Now i have the TT and i've never looked back since. I really can't think of any other car i would rather have.

Had a Mk1 MR2, then an st185 GT4 so the Supra was the logical next step when I killed my 4

I wanted a turbo but couldn't (a) afford the initial purchase costs and (b) wouldn't be able to afford all the inevitable modding that I'd 'need' to do :)

Another MR2 > Supra story here, loved the MR2 so went for the flagship as an upgrade, I also craved a bit of luxury and liked the idea of heated leather seats :)

I toyed with the idea of a TVR Chimera but horror stories put me off, if the Supra went now I'd probably get a Cerbera 4.5 and something reliable for those days it won't work.

Wanted to replace my MR2 Turbo. Shortlisted it to the Chimaera 4.0, Esprit Turbo SE, M3 Evolution and the Supra.

Chimaera broke down on the test-drive, gutless, shit handling, crap brakes. Looked gorgeous, nice place to be though. Safety features were of the "fuck'em" catagory.

Lotus Esprit- holy crap, if you have ever had a schoolboy dream shattered by reality, you'll know how I felt. Wanted one since I was ten. then I drove one. Awful, no, woeful driving position, pedals offset and poorly spaced, rediculous amounts of lag, very stiff accelerator pedal, monsterously heavy stearing, poor brakes, no rear visibility, the daftest handbrake ever invented. Wide, very bloody wide. To be fair the car had been cherished by two owners, Lotus main dealer history and a 'birthday' at Hethal for a ground up full monty super special service. Had LOADS of character though, made the TVR feel like Hyundai fridge-freezer by comparison. Oozed charisma.

M3 Evo- no midrange, no-where to put your left foot when not in use, felt like white goods though. Nothing actually wrong with it.

Supra. OMIGOD THIS THING MOVES! While the other three may beat it in one or two areas each, the Supe did everything excellently. Stonking bottom end and midrange. Best driving position, best cabin, although the other three cars were minters and my Supra isn't, felt far, far better screwed together.

After many years of Fords I finally got a Jap machine - a Mazda Xedos 6.

The natural upgrade to that was an MX6. Having now been well and truly hooked on Jap reliability and the enthusiasm there is amongst the various forums I started looking around for my "ultimate" car.

It was a toss up between a Supra, GTO and RX7 (the 8 just doesn't float my boat).

But I think I knew from the start it would be the Supra - I've loved the looks since the first time I clapped eyes on one. :) Second would be the Rex.

I wanted a high power, RWD car. Also, back seats (even cursory efforts like the Soop's) was a necessity.

There really weren't many other choices. Certainly not in the

The other cars I considered were a 300ZX (went for the Soop for the extra stock power and apparent superior reliability), a BMW M3 Evo (but my last car was a BMW, so wanted something different), and an RX-7 (was hard to find a decent example).