The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why do my wheels not fit?? it makes no sense! Can i fit 114/3 PCD hubs to my supra?

Guest mica_blue_98

Guest mica_blue_98

Hello to everyone!! I'm new to supra ownership and i've now hit my first great hurdle!! Hope someone can help!

I recently bought a set of wheels for my Supra, the advert said they'd go on a mkIv supra but when i came to fit them i ran into a strange problem! They didn't fit! The PCD on my car seems to be smaller than 114.3. From what i have read, the pattern on the supra should be 114.3. The wheels i bought are 114.3, it's stamped into them, and i have verified this with a ruler! What's going on!!

The wheels i bought are

*8.5" / 18" FRONT

*9.5" / 18" REAR

*ET35

*5 / 114.3 PCD

The car is a '98 facelift import N/A Auto.

I measured the PCD on the car and although i can't actually remember off hand what it was, it was either 5/100 or 5/110. A friend of mine also commented that the 16" wheels currently on the car look like they're off a celica? which apparently has a 5/100 PCD?

This brings me to the question, why does my supra not have a 114.3 PCD?? Is this common on certain models? Also, is there a way i could change the hubs or drive flanges to 5/114.3 ones without too much hassle? What parts would i need to do the job and where would i get them? I've worked on cars for many years and can pretty much do any mechanical job, i'm just not too familier with the Supra yet!

And finally, if it's going to be too much hassle to do a conversion, would anyone be interested in buying the wheels off me so i can buy a set that do fit!! I'll try and put some pics on!

I'm confused!! :rolleyes: :wtf:

Clearance

It is, of course, extremely important that the clearance Pitch Circle Diameterof both the vehicle body work and steering/suspension components are maintained. Failure to do so would most likely cause damage to both the tyre/wheel assembly as well as the body of the vehicles. Clearance is achieved by selecting a wheel of the correct size and type of tyre. Quality alloy wheel suppliers can give such information.

Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD)

The P.C.D. can be defined as the diameter (in millimetres) of an imaginary circle drawn through the centre of the stud holes on the wheel and/or the vehicle wheel hub.

When new wheels are required, it is essential that they have the correct P.C.D. for the vehicle concerned.

Wheel Location on Hub

Adaptor / Spigor Ring Arrangement Motor vehicle manufacturers use a central location collar on the stub axle hub in order to accurately locate the wheel. The wheel collar diameter varies, depending on the make of vehicle.

Many replacement allow wheel manufacturers use an adapter (spigot ring) to vary the diameter of the locating hole. In this way, a particular wheel can, by changing the spigot ring, be used on a variety of vehicles.

The adapter/spigot ring arrangement is illustrated in the diagrams to the left.

As an example, TSW Spigot rings should always be fitted without he tapered edge facing the vehicle hub. This is to allow easy and accurate location of the ring onto the hub collar.

You've got 16" Supra wheels on the car, they will be 114.3 PCD. :)

Are you sure you've measured it correctly?

If you look at the inside of the new wheels, the large hole in the middle which locates on the hub could be causing you a problem.

On the Supra wheels it's 60.1mm , any smaller on the new wheels and they won't fit.

Either that or the new wheels have been incorrectly stamped 114.3.

As said already, all Supras have 114.3pcd wheels. If you've measured your car and the PCD seems different to 114.3 then you have measured it incorrectly.

I think Merckx suggestion about the hub locating hole is the most likely explanation why you can't get them on your car.

Celica are 5x100pcd, are your wheels brand new or have they been on a car before? if they have check and see if the plastic Sprigot ring is in the hubs. 90% of aftermarket alloys have a hub centre bigger than 67mm, thats why they are supplied with sprigot rings to suit the car they are going on.