The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drag racing tire pressures

mike_mcevoy

For those who do this more regularly, what tire pressures do you run on street tires for the rear.

I'll be swapping back from my 18" to the standard 16" and wonder what tire pressures to drop them down to for best traction on the 1/4 mile. I know other factors come into it (temperature, surface etc) so just need a ball park figure i can work from.

First time out this weekend so not entirely sure what to run :Pling:

cheers

Mike

Here's how I'd do it:

Get your self a tyre pyrometer (thermometer with a probe)

Then get the rear suspension angles sorted out

Then do a few runs in realistic conditions and check the temps on each tyre (both edges and centre) immediately after each run.

If the middle of each tyre is consistently hotter than both edges (a few degrees Celcius), then it needs a bit less pressure. (and vice versa)

Adjust pressure by a couple of psi and try again.

If one edge is far off the temp of the other edge, then the suspension needs looking at.

This is the best method to get maximum traction out of the tyres.

For those who do this more regularly, what tire pressures do you run on street tires for the rear.

I'll be swapping back from my 18" to the standard 16" and wonder what tire pressures to drop them down to for best traction on the 1/4 mile. I know other factors come into it (temperature, surface etc) so just need a ball park figure i can work from.

First time out this weekend so not entirely sure what to run :Pling:

cheers

Mike

I run 14 psi but not on normal street tyres.