The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Break Discs

cntt

Hi guys

I'm about to buy a set of EBC break discs this evening of a guy, he has a 99 UK spec Supra TT, and he ordered the JDM Supra Discs by mistake, full set of discs and green stuff pads.

my question is, what are the differences between the JDM TT and N/A Discs and pads, as I asked him, he said it'll fit all JDM spec Supra either TT or N/A.

Did a bit of search around but didn't really find anything that helps, I will see rather they will fit mine or not when I get there to pick them up, but 140 miles is a long drive for wrong parts.

thanks in advance.

cheers

I'm about to buy a set of EBC break discs this evening of a guy,
It's BRAKE not BREAK

he has a 99 UK spec Supra TT

No 1999 Supras are UK spec. UKs were only made from 93 to 96.

and he ordered the JDM Supra Discs by mistake, full set of discs and green stuff pads.

my question is, what are the differences between the JDM TT and N/A Discs and pads, as I asked him, he said it'll fit all JDM spec Supra either TT or N/A.

Some JDM Supras have the same brakes as the UK spec Supras; 4 piston front calipers with 323mm discs, 2 piston rear calipers with 324mm rear calipers. The usual JDM Supra brakes are the lesser 2 piston front calipers with 296mm discs and single piston rear calipers with 307mm discs.

As Jakes says the jap Supras were available with both the larger 4 pot front/2 pot rears and the smaller 2 pot front/1pot rear or combination of both.

If you are not sure which you have post some pics of your front and rear brakes so we can tell you.

BTW how much are you paying for the discs and pads, as brand new discs from Toyota are relatively inexpensive and are just as good if not better.

the ones he got are EBC Drill and Grooved OEM size(which size, I dont know)

I'm paying 300 euro which would be around £205.191, which includes F/R discs and green stuff pads, hope they are the same fitting as mine in both size of discs and pads, then I'm happy, I guess I just have to drive down and see them.

I always type brakes as breaks for some funny reason :)

the ones he got are EBC Drill and Grooved OEM size(which size, I dont know)

I'm paying 300 euro which would be around £205.191, which includes F/R discs and green stuff pads, hope they are the same fitting as mine in both size of discs and pads, then I'm happy, I guess I just have to drive down and see them.

I always type brakes as breaks for some funny reason :)

Be careful with drilled discs as they are prone to cracking, drilled and grooved discs will give you no benefit over a set of stock discs.

I would definitely recommend posting pics of your brakes here, so you know which ones you have and whether they are going to fit or not.

thanks guy, but heres another problem, he doesn't know exactly what size or diameter they are, actually he knows nothing about cars at all, he ordered them and then found out they dont fit his car. so he couldn't give me much info there apart from that he was told they fit JDM spec.

I wont be able to take pics till the morning when the sun comes out :)

I got brembo drilled and grooved big break and stock drilled and grooved brembo on my ITR, they seems brilliant.

my friend has EBC ones on his prelude, never have any problems with them. hope these are going to work just as well :)

thanks guy, but heres another problem, he doesn't know exactly what size or diameter they are, actually he knows nothing about cars at all, he ordered them and then found out they dont fit his car. so he couldn't give me much info there apart from that he was told they fit JDM spec.

I wont be able to take pics till the morning when the sun comes out :)

Surely he has a tape measure or ruler and can measure the diameter of the discs?

Get him to send you photos of the pads and discs then post them here and we'll be able to tell you if they'll fit or not.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me TBH.

it may sound funny but thats what a lot of people are like here in ireland, actually if the pads are the same, the discs be the same right.

I know what pads I have as I changed the pads myself when I got the car, so if I can get pics of the pads, I'm sorted

you be suprise with them here, I met a guy one night asking me where to get secondhand parts, he was driving a 91 celica, and he though he has the same car as mine which sitting beside his, he said is that a celica? I said NO, its a MKIV Supra, only out from 1993, and he though his was a older supra then, I said No again, its a celica, 2l FWD, and MKIV Supra's are 3L RWD, then he said, no his is 4WD, I told him then NO again, it has 4WS alright but its not 4WD because it aint a GT4, and he still reckon he has 4WD. LOL :)

that was just an example

• 10 months later...
Hi.

Do the N/T have differnt brakes then the TT? And is the suspenssion different?

The Supra was fitted with 2 different brake specs, the smaller 2pot front/1pot rear or the larger 4pot front/2 pot rears. Generally the early NA's came with the smaller brakes, on later models the bigger brakes were optional. Many owners upgrade to the larger setup as they are a lot more powerful.

If you're not sure what yours are, post pics so we can identify them. There are also pics of the larger calipers here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=98436

The NA is fitted with different rated springs/dampers, as they are slightly lighter than the TT's. Coilovers are interchangeable between the TT and NA models.

Some of the later Supra models were fitted with the optional Bilstein dampers, pics here

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=92431

Guest Marakon

Thanks for the quik anser, was just wondering this because, i was thinking of putting the TT engine in to the N/T, and the law requires here to upgreit the suspension and brakes to the same level as the stantard TT.