The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto gearbox

Guest spelk

Guest spelk

I am looking to buy a supra but I have always been a manual driver as i think that is the only way to drive.But I have heard that the auto boxes on the supra are O.K. Could anyone enlighten me and give me some opinions on this.

Ditto here.

I've driven a few "slush boxes" as company cars but have always had manuals myself.

The Supra's in a different ballpark altogether from all those others. Brilliant drive - especially if you get the tiptronic. :)

I was dissappointed that I couldn't afford a manual....

Until I drove my Automatic! Best autobox I have ever used, In fact, I am almost certain I would never bother selling up and going manual.

Having a manual setting that allows you the 1st 3 gears is good enough.

The only annoying thing with them is what other people say.

I.E. "Wow! Is that your Supra?", "Oh but it's an automatic... I would never get a auto mate, bloody crap"

That is until you take them out in it! :D Which reminds me, make sure you get leather seats ;)

Ditto here.

The Supra's in a different ballpark altogether from all those others. Brilliant drive - especially if you get the tiptronic. :)

Er... what tiptronic? is there one? i'm missing that aspect of the FTO. the Supra box is very smooth and the figures imply you don't lose too much over the manuals but the semi auto + and - gearchange in the FTO is fabby. i miss the engine braking for corners and stuff!

m.

I have always driven manuals, and I was very dubious about having an auto box, but when I tried it out I found it was really sweet. With the manual override you can have just as much fun in gears as any manual box. Best of both worlds.

Try it, you won't regret it! :)

As you can see many people like it but I think this thread is a little biased :p

Might be worth asking someone who has owned both as they might be able to highlight the reasons why they changed to a manual. You can then workout from there which you would think bests suits you as a driver.

Either that or test drive a manual and an Auto - but having said that I think you have to drive with the Supras autobox for a week or so to truly learn it and get the most out of it.;)

:yeahthat: i had never driven an automatic before buying my supe and had a 5 hour journey to pick it up so it would have been one hell of a wasted journey if i had decided i didnt like it but the chaps on here had assured me it was a good box and thankfully i took their advice and havnt looked back :)

agree with jim1979, now putting the auto up for sale to get a manual... sure, the auto is nice, but i test drove a manual supra that a friend has and i was hooked. but thats just me :sly: