The mkiv Supra Owners Club

automatic question

mathew

with the supe in auto and the foot gets planted it drops down a cog. depending on the speed it obviously chooses 1st or 2nd.

however in some situations when iv needed to floor it so to say i find that im going to fast for it to go into 1st so it selects 2nd yet the revs are really low resulting in minimal pull.

so i was wondering at what revs/speed should you be at to get the best results when you put your foot down in auto???

... so i was wondering at what revs/speed should you be at to get the best results when you put your foot down in auto???

I get the same, where it sometimes doesn't drop down a gear like you'd want it to. I thought I read that there was a switch behind the go pedal that makes it drop down a gear when you plant it, but it doesn't seem to work for me (unless the car is trying to protect itself from my ineptitude!).

Leave your ECT button on, that will make the A340 box drop down to the best lowest gear and holds it for longer between shifts.

I think you'll find that the ECT button was in the mkiii, the mkiv should have a MANU button, an with this pressed the gearbox should stay in the gear its in, not drop down a cog. How many gears the box goes down will depend on what revs your at, an how quickly you plant your foot. ;)

if you think you might be in that situation, either use the over drive button to force it into 3rd, or use the gear stick and move it into 2nd, depending what speed your doing of course. Also make sure you are planting your foot right down engaging the button under the pedal.

i'm going looking under my pedal now! i'd have thought the gearbox ecu would have handled it?

Have to say the FTO box is a lot cleverer. If you nail it for 30 secs or so the ecu takes it into 'sports mode' and basically sits in 2nd and third holding the gears as long as it can. Engine ECU ups the fuelling too so you get more power from the whole thing.

i thought the supra would have a similar system but haven't had chance to play yet. deffo going to make sure that the carpet isn't restricting any buttons!

Did find putting it in second and leaving it worked well though. Plenty of power there.

m.

Also had this. If you catch it wrong there is very little pull because the gearbox won't go to first but the revs are too low in second. Just experience i think!

m.

That doesn't make too much sense mate. But correct me if I'm wrong here,...

Surely there is no more than 12-1500 revs difference between first and second, so if it wouldn't go into first because you would over-rev at say 6000-6500 then it would still be at 4500-5000 in second gear?....won't your car pull at those revs?.............

So what does the button do?

in most cases it'll make the box kick down two cogs instead of just one. next time you're out, floor it and then try and push it down even further.

it's really obvious when you hit it as you can feel it under the pedal.

Otherwise known as the kickdown button....self explanatory...:)

in most cases it'll make the box kick down two cogs instead of just one. next time you're out, floor it and then try and push it down even further.

it's really obvious when you hit it as you can feel it under the pedal.

Cool thanks - i'll have a look!

See what you mean but i didn't realise about this button business so i'm now thinking i maybe didn't catch it...

Essentially i put my foot down coming from a 40 limit into a national speed restriction duel carriageway. The road at that point goes into a steep hill so i usually boot the car up the hill so it is doing a nice 70 at the top. The car just seemed... hmmm, sluggish? for a second, like it was in the gap between being able to motor and getting a good pick up.

She's a 4 speed na if that makes much difference to gear ratios!

m.

Try this guys

1) Lock your car in "L"

Accelerate until you get to about 5500-6000 revs..

Note the speed you are doing at those revs.

From that speed reading you know roughly where you car will not drop into first when running fully auto...

2) After you have done that, lock your car in second. Now drive up to the speed you were at when you were at 5500-6000 revs in first ("L"). Note the revs.

Now lets say you were driving along normally at that speed. Your car will be in third or O/D depending on what that speed from above tests is.

If you now kick down your car should drop into second and be at the revs you recorded from test 2) above.

If it doesn't then your kickdown is not working properly.

And if you kickdown at lower than that speed it should drop down to first ("L") by default..

Hope you got all that....:)

Sounds to me like you have just found the infamous NA auto flat spot between 1st and 2nd gear i believe they all have this ,some worse than others

check the vac pipes to the butterfly valve in the inlet manifold mine had come off and resulted in me having no low down grunt put it back on and its much better at picking up at low revs:)

check the vac pipes to the butterfly valve in the inlet manifold mine had come off and resulted in me having no low down grunt put it back on and its much better at picking up at low revs:)

I have just bought an auto NA, and have noticed this flat spot. Being a noobie, could someone post pictures or a description of where in the engine bay the vac pipes run?

Simon

right hand side of the engine between the intake manifold "Y" you will see a small

black circular object and 2 hard vac pipes which should have 2 flexi vac pipes attached.

Rev the engine to above 4500 revs and see if the valve in the y piece turns it should open when above 4500

Thats the valve but there should be 2 pipes (1st pic shows shaft from b/vlv to vac piston) i think the 2nd pic showed the 2 hard pipes there should be 2 flexi pipes attached to these did you try reving car to see if valve moved??

i think 1 flexi went into the valve the 2nd flexi went into the throttle body... i couldnt rev my engine as my neigbours would kick off ... i will wait untill im at work and get someone to get it up to 4500 revs...

sorry about the typing above ... ive only had 3 beers lol... must be the heat

thank for your time impervious :thumbs:

n00b