The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint Issues

Schtuv

I've got some odd watermarking on the roof, boot, and screen pillars of the car which I can't seem to get rid of. Have a look at the attachment - the wing and door are just fine, but the screen pillar is starting to look like 80s black lepoard print :(

Some areas (like the sides of the roof above the doors) are improving a bit with a wash and waxing, but I just can't seem to shift most of it. Any advice on sorting this out would be very appreciated!

Screen pillar interface paint example.JPG

Looks to me like bird droppings damage, but a little difficult to tell from the picture.

Yeah - I wanted a close up so you could see what it was like, but there's a lot of it over the car - don't think it's from birds.

You could try some T Cut and see if that shifts it, or if that doesn't work a good bodyshop might be able to polish it out for you.

T-Cut is starting to sound like the way to go!

I had similar not long back, it took ages to t-cut out, it took a good few applications to shift, but it did come off!

Given my girlfreind's away for the weekend, I think I've just found out what I'll be up to ... I think Jody may be right about the water quality, as it seems to be getting worse :(

AutoGlym super resin polishshould do the trick. make sure after youve polished / t cutted you wax over after.

I'll have a look for some!

Luckily the marks are only on the roof and boot - my attention span is a little too short to do the whole car ;)

Do you know if supras have some sort of clear coat over the paint? I thought I saw a patch that looked as if it was peeling the other day in the middle of the roof ...

Do you know if supras have some sort of clear coat over the paint? I thought I saw a patch that looked as if it was peeling the other day in the middle of the roof ...

Yeah, before mine was painted it lifted a bit, Its really annoying.. my old celica started off with a small bubble then eventually all the laquer on the tailgate came off... I think it happens because of the sun drying the paint out and not enough polish..

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update on this - there's no 'after' pics yet, but I'll get some soon ...

T-Cut works miracles! I headed out to clean the car, gave it a wax (I used a jetwash, and it didn't exactly leave the car clean ...), and then slapped the t-cut over the affected areas (carefully following the instructions) ...

Wow! On the windscreen surround the marks have completely gone! The roof and under-the-spoiler have a little way to go yet, but it's a big improvement :)

Oh yeah - gave it a waxing after, too.

A few more goes of that to clear the paintwork, and (when I've got the cash) a chat with gzaerojon to get new lights, and thing'll be perfect :)

Glad to hear its gone mate, It used to annoy the hell out of me..

Almost gone :) - luckily, in the meantime, the tree pollen from where I park my car, and road dust from building work near the office hides it well :blink:

I may try it on the glass as well, as there are very similar marks on that. I tried vinager, white spirit, glass cleaner, elbow grease, and waving dead chickens over it, but nothing's worked yet ...

It's little things like that paint problem (and the corroding chrome in the headlights) that makes the car look old. Can't wait till I get it all sorted out.