The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol

jazz1

Ok iv been putting normal unleaded petrol in my supe and my brother just told me that putting 95 octane unleaded aint good for my car. So far iv found super unleaded (bp) which is 97 octane is there anything better? my brother assumes my revs dropping could be down to the normal unleaded petrol iv been putting in my jap sepc tt?

Try Shell Optimax 98 Octane or BP Ultimate which is also 98 ( i think ). Some Teco's petrol stations stock the 99 octane too but I don't think it has all the cleaning addatives like the other two.

I use either of these three in my TT and so do many other members.

cheers guys i think il use shell optimax and my brother said also to use high octane booster the non leaded one so its safe for my catlic convertor it costs 3pounds per full tank, which one would you recommendd is the best

god jazz, u have been on here a lifetime, and go and do something like this.

use optimax, i use tesco 99 ron only to save on pennies

YOUR BRO IS RIGHT, BY THE WAY

does that mean tescos do the 99 octane fuel? do they have it at all tescos stations?

I've always understood that Tescos super unleaded and Optimax are the same petrol and BP Ultimate disagrees with some supes? I've been putting Tescos in mine for ages and not had any problems, is it time to change?

According to a recent test published in Banzai magazine, it looks like Tesco's 99 stuff is only marginally better than 95.

Their test was done on a proper engine dyno using a highly modified Nissan 200sx engine and stand alone ECU. The test showed that 95 octane needed the ignition timing backed off and it produced just over 500bhp. Next up was the Tesco stuff, and whilst they could re-advance the timing, they couldn't add too much more before det occured. Tescos stuff made about 510ish.

Next up was the BP ultimate, which allowed a further increase in ignition timing and made around 525ish, and lastly, Optimax whch allowed even more ignition advance and pushed out about 537.*

So, providing you have nice fresh Optimax, it still looks like its the better option. Although Optimax can lose a RON or two as time goes by, so I'd imagine those results were based on fresh Optimax.

*Don't quote me on those figures. The magazine was published a good few months ago, and my memory isn't THAT good;)

cheers guys i think il use shell optimax and my brother said also to use high octane booster the non leaded one so its safe for my catlic convertor it costs 3pounds per full tank, which one would you recommendd is the best

there is no point in this they do sweet FA...raises it by 0.4 ron or something just buy tesco 99, optimax or BP ultimate.

that way you cant go wrong, it doesnt matter which

i usually use optimax. i hate bp ultimate and my past 2 supes have agreed with me on that too. i think bp ultimate is crap and overpriced. even more than optimax down my side!

Im an optimax person as well but Im starting to think it goes 'off' very quickly and if your car stands still for more than a few weeks it will have dropped an octane rating or two. Thats not good news when the weather is hot.

So perhaps store your car with almost no fuel, and fill up before you go anywhere to make sure you have fresh stuff in the car.

Shame about the Tescos stuff, would like to see another mag like Evo do the same test just to confirm it.

JB

Iv used all three

Ran like crap on the tesco stuff!

I used optimax for a long time and I can't complain about it.

But my car seems to run best on BP Ultimate? I can actully notice the difference :)

Again that is just my car, may differ from sup 2 sup.

Optimax is definately the way to go I have ran all of my Jap cars on it and it rocks... The good news is that the new Optimax pump fuel will be out real soon and it is 100RON. Also BP have also just released a 100RON+ pump fuel and at present it is only available a 5 UK BP Garages, All I can remember is there is one outlet near Milton Keynes (Stoke Newington ??? I maybe wrong)

Guest lloydmcc

i have a local bp next to me and thats alli really ues as shell and tescos are miles away

i have no probs with bp at all