The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stupid headlights

Dash Rendar

Yes, another headlamp thread.

I tried to take out my headlamps today in order to paint them up, since the silver seems to be peeling away on the inside.

I managed to remove the headlamps from the mountings. I detached three of the four bulbs. But the bulb to the main lamp seems to have an extra wire that's fitted to the inside of the lamp, and I didn't know how to get the bugger off.

So, having spent about an hour getting the lamp off (because I had to losen the nosecone first), and another hour constantly retrieving all the stuff I kept losing between the FMIC and the radiator, I finally gave up and put it all back.

So much for DIY. I think I'll just pay someone to do it for me...

I got told a good trick to take them apart.

Bake them in the over on low heat, then they come apart easy.

I had condensation in my light so thought, fine give it a go if it goes wrong i'll get some new lights and hey presto worked a trick, cleaned them out, then resealed and not had a problem in the last 9 weeks of this since.

*I except no liablity to this messing your lights up :D *

I got told a good trick to take them apart.

Bake them in the over on low heat, then they come apart easy.

I had condensation in my light so thought, fine give it a go if it goes wrong i'll get some new lights and hey presto worked a trick, cleaned them out, then resealed and not had a problem in the last 9 weeks of this since.

*I except no liablity to this messing your lights up :D *

And how does this help Dash get the lights out?

Hi people im rather confused you see im new to all this supra business and i've only just become a prode owner of a supra.

im wanting to change my headlights to the glass uk spec ones from that nasty jap plastic ones thats gone a milky colour from the sun so do you have to buy the whole head light or just the lenses ???? and does anyone know how much the uk ones are ????

Hi people im rather confused you see im new to all this supra business and i've only just become a prode owner of a supra.

im wanting to change my headlights to the glass uk spec ones from that nasty jap plastic ones thats gone a milky colour from the sun so do you have to buy the whole head light or just the lenses ???? and does anyone know how much the uk ones are ????

If you go for UK's you have to change the entire unit, plus the blub holders (unless you are handy with a craft knife). They cost £130 each I believe.

Alterntively you can clean up the Jap specs to near-newish state with 3-4 hours work (have a search here, or pay gzaerojon £100 to do it for you, plus you can facelift them at same cost :D )

that cloudyness can be polished out so they come up like new, mine were cloudy but have come up a treat (except I need to do the inside of one of them due to condensation).

some fine abrasive polishing compounds work. I've even used metal polish or cutting compound. A few goes and you might well be very suprised, you've nothing to lose. If they still look rubish then nothing lost just replace them.