The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto vs. manual help please

Guest jay3

hey, im planning on buying a supra and i got a question before i make my decision. what's the difference between auto and manual supras? either way i go, it has to be a turbo. normally, i would get manual for any other car because you get more control and faster, but im not sure about supras. some people tell me auto's are faster or something, so what better place to ask than here? :)

ok , this has been an ongoing dispute for years... there are benefits to both. the best way for you to decide is to test drive both fella.. and make your mind up that way.

yes auto are faster in a straight line.. and i personally love the auto but there are some that dont and some that have only driven one or the other so remain neutral.. take a test drive in both is my advice and then you need you need to decide which way your gonna go withy the car in regards to tunning or if your gonna keep it stock etc.. all these factors will help you decide wich one is best for you.

hmm..which one should i go with if im gunna do these mods. intake, full exhaust, single turbo and wastegate and maybe a fmic. would it be the same whether i go manual or auto, or is there something im missing. also, someone told me manual is "funner", im not exactly sure what this means but is it really funner or is it all just preferance. 1 more question, if you got an auto and someone pulls up next to you on the highway to race, do you just floor it? because if you do, it seems like youre pretty much screwed because you cant downshift or anything like on a manual.

I have TT auto and I'm surprised that so many pepole prefer auto than manual. I wish to get TT manual but currently it is impossile. Also I thought manual is faster than automatic ( acceleration and top speed )

I would say that a manual is much more fun when caning it around the twisties but auto is better for everthing else but considering that everthing else is about 95% of the time imho the auto is a better allround driving experience

My auto/manual exp is limited to na`s though:( :(

1 more question, if you got an auto and someone pulls up next to you on the highway to race, do you just floor it? because if you do, it seems like youre pretty much screwed because you cant downshift or anything like on a manual.

Autobox kicks down. You'll have no problems racing in an auto.;)

I have not driven a manual but I love the auto you just point it and plant it to the floor, not in the wet though (waits for the pink RLTC boys comment) use the manu button that allows you manully shift and holds it in gear

Oh and the red button if a flux capicitator.

If you are going for serious power then manual is the best way to go unless you go for an uprated auto box.

serious power? hmm..well i am going to get a greddy single turbo with a few other bolt ons including an exhaust and intake. will this be a problem with auto?

I have TT auto and I'm surprised that so many pepole prefer auto than manual. I wish to get TT manual but currently it is impossile. Also I thought manual is faster than automatic ( acceleration and top speed )

Auto is faster that and 6 speed better on the 1/4 mile (stock)

I've got an auto, Ive raced alot over the years at Santa Pod etc and recently raced my Soop.

Everything else Ive raced in has been a manual and i've loved every second of it! Racing in an auto is a little un-involving and a pain in the arse to launch.

I love my auto and for frequent driving an auto is well handy but if I had to choose again i'd probably go for a manual for the extra involvement.

Oh and with a manual you won't get people saying 'nice car mate, shame its an auto tho, didn't you want a proper one?' (w**kers) :complain:

I agree with Gaz and Burt... Try both before buying and decide which you prefer. Everyones different.