The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hks vs apexi induction kit?

Guest timalbert

Guest timalbert

hya,ive got a n/a auto j-spec and i want the loudest induction roar possible.i was torn between hks power filter and the apexi one,wot you guys think?

I had a HKS on ebay if you want, supra fitment.

I think in the long run and if you are planning to keep the car for a good few years then stock air box is the best.

HKS does give you the extra noise if you have a dump valve installed, I guess because the filter is like no filter at all and I don;t think it is good for the engine.

I now have a apexi as I do want the engine to last longer. Saying that I have seen lots of car with HKS and living happy ever after.

China

I had a HKS on ebay if you want, supra fitment.

I think in the long run and if you are planning to keep the car for a good few years then stock air box is the best.

HKS does give you the extra noise if you have a dump valve installed, I guess because the filter is like no filter at all and I don;t think it is good for the engine.

I now have a apexi as I do want the engine to last longer. Saying that I have seen lots of car with HKS and living happy ever after.

China

:eyebrows: hey thanks a lot man, i know the reason why my performance is going down even i had carbon fibre airbox on now! :topsecret:

Standard airbox can flow 500bhp....so unless you are aiming for more than that then its a waste of money getting an induction kit.

For roar....get a bigger exhaust :D

not me mate, i dont want to impress noone on public road by the sound of 'Roarrrr'. Supra looks already impress pplz though :D

Yeah...LOUD is what you want, especially when your engine goes pop.... LOL

Agreed that there are some piss poor filters out there and nothing can do better than stock, but something as half decent like an Apexi will certainly not make your engine go pop, any proof of such a case where an Apexi filter has caused an engine to go pop?

Single turbos with K and N filters that suck in even more air than apexi filters, therefor even more dirt and crap dont even cause Engines to pop.

The only downside is heatsoak which is very noticeable at low speeds, and at high speeds the effect are less.

Stock airbox with aftermarket fillements are a common choice, so why do people do it? Its because they can get more airflow as the filter will not be as dense as a stock filter and at the same time not suffer from heat soak as the filter is well guarded from the engine heat.

The above also results in more dirt and crap getting into the engine, but this along with the Apexi filter is not a significant amount that will causes then engine to go pop as long as regular oil changes are carried out.

So if Apexi filters are bad then so must be aftermarket filter pannels for the same reason, if the reason is "engine will go pop". nuff said:)

I had a Trust (HKS style) induction kit and it sounded ok and thought nothing of it, until i opened my bonnet at a meet, and everyone gasped lol, so I quickly followed the advice and got and Apexi and it was good, then i learned more and went to stock and the engine is silent (campared to an apexi that is) so now i am back with apexi cause i wanted the ROAR

I must try that lion suggestion There GGGRRREEEEAAAATTTTTTT i believe tony makes them lol

Stock airbox with aftermarket fillements are a common choice, so why do people do it? Its because they can get more airflow as the filter will not be as dense as a stock filter and at the same time not suffer from heat soak as the filter is well guarded from the engine heat.

Hey Buddy.....engine going pop was an exaggeration.....however you do agree that the stock element offers the best filtration....perhaps the TRD comes close.....any other aftermarket one is inferior.

Apexi one is certainly the best of all the aftermarket ones out there...

why do people go for aftermarket panel filters??? dont know...better ask them. CW on this site recommends the standard cotton filter. I know which one I am going to use.

each to their own.

Hey Buddy.....engine going pop was an exaggeration.....however you do agree that the stock element offers the best filtration....perhaps the TRD comes close.....any other aftermarket one is inferior.

Apexi one is certainly the best of all the aftermarket ones out there...

why do people go for aftermarket panel filters??? dont know...better ask them. CW on this site recommends the standard cotton filter. I know which one I am going to use.

each to their own.

Just sticking up for my Apexi...which use to be yours ;)

As long as its well shielded from the heat (Boxed) its not a problem, like i have said as the speed picks up heat soak is less of a problem, but on track the heat soak is murder on performance and is more of a problem with inadequately shielded induction filters as there is alot of stop and start.

In the real world on the road its not detremental on performance as long as you have a quality filter adeqautely shielded and regular oil changes are met.