The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing down on in Manual mode on an Auto

spackrackman

If I am doing some high speed twisties etc, its nice to have the extra control of 2nd and 3rd in manual mode... such as slowing down with engine breaking etc... so what do people do to stop the back end locking up when dropping into second, I came to a tight corner today, dumped it into second and ended up going around it with the backend out sideways at 70.

Should I hit the throttle for a second once i have moved it into second or just keep it floored while changing down and then let off.. this is where i miss the clutch and being able to slowly let the clutch bite and give the engine a chance to catch up with the revs for engine breaking and not skipping the back out.

thoughts?

Have you tried using the brakes?

engine braking and brakes.... are the best for killing the speed quickly. I am not dissing the auto.. just interested on how other people drive them hard..

On another note.. is it okay to coast an auto in N and how bad is it to rev the engine slightly and put it into drive.. or if i want to start off quickly is it exceptable to keep the brakes on, hit the accelerator, let the auto box build up the pressure and then release?

are these all no no's?

jonnie

is it okay to coast an auto in N and how bad is it to rev the engine slightly and put it into drive.. or if i want to start off quickly is it exceptable to keep the brakes on, hit the accelerator, let the auto box build up the pressure and then release?

i wouldn't coast in N to be honest but i've recently been told that it won't harm it (i still wouldn't do it though). i wouldn't rev the engine before putting it into drive either.

keeping your foot on the brake, accelerating then letting the brakes go is used quite often to get a decent launch but this will reduce the life of your box / torque convertor iirc.

This is the place where i am missing the tiptronic mode in the FTO. all the joy and benefit of gearchanges without the clutch action.

Still getting used to the Supra but i'm planning on just leaving it in second and drinking the local Esso dry.

Did a hard launch at a 04plate 325i earlier that wanted to speed into a bus lane thencut me up. Absolutely monstered it!

m.

• 2 months later...
... so what do people do to stop the back end locking up when dropping into second...

I've never experienced the back end locking up when I've dropped it into 2nd when in manual mode :shrug: Did it at 80 the other day, no probs. I thoughte the box made sure the revs were suitable before it changed anyway?

I love the manual mode but you do have to be careful with it IMO, the engine braking is just too severe to simply change down and chuck it into a corner. The difference between 2nd and 3rd is so high that you'd have to slow down to a snail's pace to make it smooth, which defeats the point of using it in the first place!

Still, it's nice when you get it right. :)

Quite a few!!. It was a mistake, I had it in MANU and my hand on the lever and accidentally pulled it back. Mind you, I'm sure that the box will actually do an (indicated on speedo) 90 in 2nd (not that I've ever seen 90...) :innocent:

Usually knock OD off then drop back to 2nd. Not heard of the back breaking away before. I think mine's got LSD (checked the VIN code), would that make a difference ?

J

Quite a few!!. It was a mistake, I had it in MANU and my hand on the lever and accidentally pulled it back. Mind you, I'm sure that the box will actually do an (indicated on speedo) 90 in 2nd (not that I've ever seen 90...) :innocent:

Usually knock OD off then drop back to 2nd. Not heard of the back breaking away before. I think mine's got LSD (checked the VIN code), would that make a difference ?

J

wouldnt make any difference mate...I always thought the ECU wouldn't allow you to change down at such high revs, and until the revs drops enough it would only change down then?.....surely that would be off the limiter at that speed??

Don't know mate, not gonna test either :D I know AtillaUK used to track his Auto and I'm sure he posted that he knocked it to 2nd at 80 approaching corners and the box just changes down when it's safe to do so.

It's the locking up thing I was interested in. Just not experienced this - proabably not driving hard enough :eyebrows: