The mkiv Supra Owners Club

spraying my bumper. advice?

miko_supra

Ok well im gnna have all the correct equipment and the propper spraying booth etc.. Never done it before and was wondering if i could have some much needed advice. The bumper is silver and im going to be spraying in black. Anyone got a link to a decent guide?

Thanks very much

Mike

:D As long there are no deep scratches.

1. make sure its clean and no flaked laquer/runs in paintwork etc..

2. you can go two ways here, flat with 500/800 grit wet with soapy water to a matt finish or use a grey scotchbrite and flatting paste to a matt finish.

3. Dry/clean and spirit wipe off.

4. just before you paint it use a tacky cloth to remove any last bits of dust and if you have one use the anti static gun.

5. with the correct spraying pressure (should be set for you) apply one fine coat to seal and let you know if anythings gonna go wrong. wait until tacky (spray something else as a guide so you can touch it) then hit with a full coat wait again then hit again.

6. bake off if needed if not leave overnight in the booth.

7. flat and polish using 1500 superfine and g6 compound and finnesse finishing paste.

8. fit to car and wax the whole the car. stand back and admire;)

hope this helps. (this guide is using ici 2k and 790 express activator)

depends on what your car is painted in? Ok get some t cut and goto your car, rub the t cut in with a cloth(white mutton cloth) if black comes off on the cloth then its solid colour. if not its clear over base...I would personaly use a solid colour as its cheaper and better if you scratch it as you can lose locals better and if you chip it you can touch it in, then flat down and polish as if it was never done ;-)

Platisiciser and plastic primer are not the same thing, plasticiser is a paint/lacquer adaptive that allows the paint to bend and stretch and also gives it some resistance to impact.

You're right there and should have mentioned it:d But i have had no problems with my paint cracking and seems not to mind the odd stone, So i don't use it as a rule:)

Here's another question . :)

I'm going to get some paint later today (hopefully) to paint one of my skirts.

I'm getting the paint on the car scanned so I can get a good match.

It's the red - 3L2.

Should I go for a solid colour or base coat/lacquer.

Am I correct in thinking that the reds used in the above 2 ways will be slightly different as the lacquer will darken the paint slightly? :)

Here's another question . :)

I'm going to get some paint later today (hopefully) to paint one of my skirts.

I'm getting the paint on the car scanned so I can get a good match.

It's the red - 3L2.

Should I go for a solid colour or base coat/lacquer.

Am I correct in thinking that the reds used in the above 2 ways will be slightly different as the lacquer will darken the paint slightly? :)

But it depends on the area being painted. if you go for solid colour you will only paint the skirt and you WILL see a difference. If you went for a clear over base and had the money , you could blend the base coat into the door and front wing/rear quarter and laquer the side and you would not see a difference if done right. Depends how fussy you are:tongue:

mmmmm :D

I thought either way I would be fine just doing the skirt, I didn't think it would be necessary blending into the door etc.

I'm hoping to get the paint scanned on Monday when the gadget they use returns.:)

I did this for two years and its good BUT reds are very hard to match due to soft pigment, Blues are the same. You my be ok as the technology has improved alot and there is a colour profi in chelmsford that can get very close with just formulated mixes. Good luck and don't let me put you off doing what you were going to do;)

I did this for two years and its good BUT reds are very hard to match due to soft pigment, Blues are the same. You my be ok as the technology has improved alot and there is a colour profi in chelmsford that can get very close with just formulated mixes. Good luck and don't let me put you off doing what you were going to do;)

Hopefully I'll get a good match.:)