The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU - how many miles will it live?

Homer

After having a chat with a few club members at the weekend there seemed to be a huge difference in opinion on the reliability of a car after going BPU (Jspecs, not UK's).

Now, in my opinion, provided the BPU upgrades are done properly and the car treated correctly, the turbos should last for years.

Other disagree and several said none would last more than 5k miles/6months.

So, I think its time for some facts from those that did the full BPU mods to post up their examples. I'll go first:

Time since going BPU: 2yrs 4 months

Boost level: 1.2 bar

Miles at BPU upgrade: 49,000

Miles recorded since BPU upgrade: 32,000

Problems: Valve stem seals need replacing

Edited for grammar

Time since going BPU: 2yrs 8 months

Miles at BPU upgrade: 74,500

Miles recorded since BPU: 28,500

Problems: Valve stem seals need replacing, Radiator cracked. (I don't believe either problems are due to BPU)

Once over 100k miles, it's only a matter of time......all IMO.

Since you raised it, I think thats become the 2nd point of this thread :) Either way I hope we can collect some meaningful info for future reference and members considering going 'BPU'.

BPU Approx 5 years.

Car built July 95

18K at start of BPU

4000 mile oil changes

Turbo timer always used.

A few silly month at 1.4 bar, restrictor ring brought it down to 1.2

30K at BPU

Problems, 1 Stem seals, not surprising in and 11 year old car. 2 Too slow, ripping it all out and starting again:D

yes some indication of how often you use the extra boost might be handy. i.e. all the time, at least once per drive, occassionally...

Time since going BPU: 11 months

Miles at BPU upgrade: approx 65k

Miles recorded since BPU upgrade: approx 8k

Problems: None (but I might replace the SMIC to be safe)

Useage: At least once per drive

it got to have a little,

the turbos are under more pressure? wear down quicker?

I'm no techie, but I'd have though the valve stem seals will be getting worn due to the valves going up and down on them over such a long period (11 - 12 years) of time.

I would have thought the valve stem seals will become more brittle over time because of the age of the car, not the mileage it has covered. I dont think going BPU will shorten the life of the stem seals though as your not raising boost in that area.

Obviously pushing the stock tubbies with higher boost must surely shorten their life but how much?

I am thinking about going the whole hog on BPU so this thread will be quite interesting. :)