The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint mixed to match a sample from car?

merckx

I'm finding it impossible to get some paint to match the car, it's red 3L2.

I've had some mixed at 4 places and it's too bloody dark.

I know when a manufacture changes colours on the production line it can produce a variance in the colour . Mine must be like this.

Does anyone know of any places that can scan the paint on the car and then mix it to get the right colour.

There's 2 places in Cambridgeshire, but I'm from the North East and I cannot find anywhere nearby.

Dupont call theirs Chroma Vision.

PPG's is called Prophet.

I've contacted Dupont, they were no help.

Thanks

I'm not a paint expert but are you sure it's too dark? Have you let it dry on the car? When I was a kid ;) I had an old 3-series, went and bought a spray can to touch up a bit of rust and I would have sworn blind it was the wrong colour ('Zinnobar red' IIRC), until it dried when it was perfectly fine :)

as absx has already said, its down to the pink effect. Dude used to send fuel caps off to somewhere in the midlands and they used to match it the best they could. I think he may have done it through Mark Kindell iirc

i can get a petrol flap scanned for a match,

and then give you a formulation in sikkens paint if you can find a local sikkens user to mix it for you

if this helps

i could mix the colour but dont think posting is such a good move

cheers baldy

i can get a petrol flap scanned for a match,

and then give you a formulation in sikkens paint if you can find a local sikkens user to mix it for you

if this helps

i could mix the colour but dont think posting is such a good move

cheers baldy

Thanks Baldy

I'm having difficulty finding a stockist. :)

i don't think its possible for a exact match if your orignal colour is faded. as red gets lighter as the years go by:innocent:

T-cut reveals the new paint underneath.:)

I'm not a paint expert but are you sure it's too dark? Have you let it dry on the car? When I was a kid ;) I had an old 3-series, went and bought a spray can to touch up a bit of rust and I would have sworn blind it was the wrong colour ('Zinnobar red' IIRC), until it dried when it was perfectly fine :)

I sprayed up a few samples many weeks ago, still too dark.

The colour cards that the bodyshops use are too dark aswell. :)

as absx has already said, its down to the pink effect. Dude used to send fuel caps off to somewhere in the midlands and they used to match it the best they could. I think he may have done it through Mark Kindell iirc

There's never anything around here! :(

Sounds like your having problems with it then, what is it your trying to paint up to match?

I had 2 cracks in one of the skirts, they were just getting worse with the paint peeling off.

The previous owner must've come off a high curb.

I've repaired them both but now I need to get it painted.

I want to get some paint so I can do other bits on the car aswell. The front parts of the skirts that go around the wheel arches are prone to chipping.

I'm reluctant to keep going back to a bodyshop to do the work. :)