The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch expertise question

NIALLRUSSELL_HO

Have my tt j-spec supra a few days and have a question regarding the clutch.

It feels heavier than normal and its very grabby with a tiny biting point.really hard get used to.Makes really loud noises especially in reverse and below 2000rpm.the noise seems to be coming from the gearbox.I consider myself a competent driver and find the clutch hard to use.

My question is:

Is this an uprated racing clutch.Car came from japan so i dont know.Is there any way to find out what type.where do i look.

thanks for any info

Almost certainly its an uprated unit (or completely knackered!).

Loud rattling noises on idle and sub 2k rpm is a sure sign of a lightweight flywheel.

The stock clutch isn't light, but no one could call it heavy. Sounds like an uprated pressure plate, which means a non standard clutch is likely.

Remove the inspection plate and have a quick look at whats in there, might give a few clues (assuming you know what you're looking for!).

Edited to add: There's no way to tell for sure whats in there without getting the box off.