The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how the f**K

mattanna

I have had a query about my car which is for sale, a guy wants price in us dollars and shipping costs to hawaii, i am aware of potential scams but he has not asked for personal info just the above, how would one go about even finding out about this let alone do it, surely it would cost a fortune to ship, and surely he could find one nearer home?!!, any thoughts?

Matt:search:

The dollars part is easy enough, perhaps Jurgen could point you in the direction of a reputable shipping company to get a quote from.

I don't think it would be as expensive as you imagine.

I don't see this as a scam yet, if you get the info and he starts talking about father brothers cosuins in nigeria and wanting to pay you double the value etc walk away.

what is this scam thing from africa guys? .... cos my m8 is selling a vauxhall and somone from africa offered to buy from him? with some dodgy set up going on?.......as follows:

they wanted to send £4000 to his bank account, deduct the £600 they are paying for the car, and then wanted the balance of £3400 given to the shipper that was picking the car up!!??............ (YEP, i know what your thinking sounded well dodgy to me too!),

so i have told him to get them to send a cheque for the car for £600.....wait for it to clear than release the car to them after it has clear..........TO WHICH THEY AGREED????? but im still smelling a fish? .... am i missing somthin' ????

it's just that most credit card scams etc emit from africa, hence why most ebay sellers will not ship there, if money is already with you then not so bad but it could be dirty money too i suppose, the deal you mention sounded a bit like money laundering to me

Well check these emails out from when i was selling my car:

1)

Hello,

I'm engineer khaleed .I am interested in you car and I'll like to know your last offering price and to see the pics or to know the condition if it will be okay with me.I'll be making my payment with a BANKER'S DRAFT .If you do I want you to get in touch with me immediately for me to proceed with the Payment. As for the shipping I'll contact a shipper agent of mine who will arranged for the Pick up as soon as the transaction is sealed and get back .I'll be looking forward to your response.

Thanks and Have a Nice day.

2)

Hello,

Am from dublin and am so much intrested in buying your posted advert on autotrader ok , please keep it for me and dont sell it out because am ready to buy very soon .

My shipping company will come over to your location for the shipment after funds has cleared to your account and payment is by bank draft ok,please let me know the condition and also the send any available picture , hope to hear from you soon ,thanks .

Is it in good condition???????

Lol Engineer Kahleed. Sounds like a guy of startrek.

Here is copy of e mail, i have replied to him stating the fact regarding rhd cars, etc etc and told him that i would not be party to scams, i have a feeling theat hawaii possibly drive on the left, i will ask the mother in law she goes a lot!!, not holding my breath for this one!lol

How much is the car in US dollars? and how much is shipping to hawaii?

My Phone No: 808-388-1349

Check with your bank how long a personal cheque/bankers draft has to be in your account before it is cleared beyond the point of possible cancellation by the buyer.

I think personal cheques can be cancelled upto 10 days after you have put them in your account, even though the funds show as cleared after 4 days.

I've heard of numerous stories of people who have had cheques cancelled on them after they had 'cleared' in their account.

i dunno m8, sounds a bit dodgy but i thought that aswell about my sale on the n/a im sure you remember. if you get the payment cleared in your account beyond the point of being reversed, just ship it on to wherever he wants. end of the day you sold your car and get your money with no risks.

if he seems genuine that is of course. and a good idea would be have a phone convo if hes serious.

maybe you should counter scam him.. email back and say to him that youd find it easier if he could transfer payment to your brother who lives in nigeria or something.

Ask yourself why a US buyer would pay English prices (which are twice as much as the equivalent US prices) PLUS pay for shipping and the probable import taxes, to get a car that is in a rust producing country, when he can get a rust free example just across the water in california (and have plenty of change left ove with which to convert it to right hand drive if he wishes)?....

SCAM...........