The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Head gasket , preparing for the worst

psymon

Guys

Had a big plume of white see this thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=74597&highlight=white+smoke

So worst case scenario would be head gasket. I am pretty confidant with engines and have done several head gaskets before. And I have Cj's manuals

So my questions are.

1) How much is a full head gasket kit and should i go for an uprated one

(only bpu and happy with power)

2) I will do valve stem seal and timing belt at the same time.

3) anything else i should do whilst engine is in bits, ie water pump etc.

At present I have no overheating issues, but do have a Koyo rad which is huge compared to stock

Thanks in advance

Si

After reading the other thread - i wouldnt be to hastey. Leave it for a week or so and keep checking the coolant level and oil. could quite rightly have been a baffle full of water (happens a lot after jet washing)

Also, when the headgasket allows water into the Cylinder it also allows pressure into the water system. so you will get a build up of pressure and water blowing out the expansion bottle 90% of the time.

If not and it has gone..

Go for the toyota full headgasket kit. You could go for an aftermarket headgasket but Toyoyta OEM will be fine for BPU

As the head is off, may as well do the Valve Stem oil seals, get it decoked, and maybe clean the valves with a little lapping. Also get the head lightly skimmed to clean up the mating face. But, i would get the head checked first just to make sure there is no warpage or suspected damage.

False ecomomy not doing the Timing belt as there aint much else stripping to be done.

did the cart ever give any signs that it was gonna blow th HG? i.e get very hot coolant temp ways??

Guys

Had a big plume of white see this thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=74597&highlight=white+smoke

So worst case scenario would be head gasket. I am pretty confidant with engines and have done several head gaskets before. And I have Cj's manuals

So my questions are.

1) How much is a full head gasket kit and should i go for an uprated one

(only bpu and happy with power)

2) I will do valve stem seal and timing belt at the same time.

3) anything else i should do whilst engine is in bits, ie water pump etc.

At present I have no overheating issues, but do have a Koyo rad which is huge compared to stock

Thanks in advance

Si

Give me a ring and ill talk you through whats a good idea to do and the sort of money / time is involved.

Hi Psymon,

Hope this helps but the smoke appeared to come from under the car not the exhaust.Maybe a fluid leak onto a hot exhaust.

Rich.....................

and that would suggest, the auto fluid as per the thread i posted a link to.

have you been out and tried to replicate it? If the fluids are all ok and its running fine i see no harm in doing this.

Also have you checked the auto fluid level in the correct way? (the methods on here somewhere)