The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wanna go big single and fmic.

paul ashton

Erm, big single means you can aim for up to 1500bhp, possibly more judging by some of the recent posts on Supraforums.

You will need a lottery win to pay for it though :D

What exactly do you mean by big single? You can't just bolt on a huge turbo, other things have to be considered (i.e. the rest of the car!)

Erm, big single means you can aim for up to 1500bhp, possibly more judging by some of the recent posts on Supraforums.

You will need a lottery win to pay for it though :D

What exactly do you mean by big single? You can't just bolt on a huge turbo, other things have to be considered (i.e. the rest of the car!)

I do understand that everything else has to be considered that's why i need the lottery win.

450bhp.... You could push the stock twins as far as they'd go (efficiency wise etc and not just like 1.8 bar :D ) and you could get 420 or so. Would need bigger injectors to be safe (550cc ones from a UK car) and a way of controlling them.

A small single will be something like a BL T61, or the XS power T60/T70. A properly installed BL T61 can give 550bhp (Terry S).

If you're aiming for 450bhp (and no more) then you may as well go for hybrids or stock turbo's. Mine apparently makes 430 at the flywheel without any boost controller or fueling computer.

Off the top of your head how much you looking at?Don't worry,won't quote you on the figure,just trying to get an idea and plan together.

How long is a piece of string, if you want a decent size trubo, have a look at Ian C's set up (BL T67), it produces around 600BHP and its on stock internals minus cams.

have a look at Ian C's set up (BL T67), it produces around 600BHP and its on stock internals minus cams.

^yeah that^

For a 6spd, I think this is likely to be the best all-rounder single. Ian's setup is pretty much what I have in mind :)

Will have a word with Chris Wilson when i go down in a few weeks.

When it comes to track/fast road performance then Chris is your man :)

However, Chris is a race engineer and has track/fast road setup in mind (mostly a good thing). I would put money on it that he tells you that to go 'single' properly will cost upwards of £10k. He'll recommend stock turbo's with a bleed valve will suffice power wise (no fancy electronics), and that all your gains in performance will be made with a decent diff (TRD), good suspension setup (his) and decent brakes ('Uk' with his fast road pads).

That’s not meant to sound disrespectful towards Chris (it's genuine not!), he is totally correct ....from a race engineers point of view :) He builds cars to go round tracks fast, not cars than can simply deliver huge power in a straight line.

When it comes to track/fast road performance then Chris is your man :)

However, Chris is a race engineer and has track/fast road setup in mind (mostly a good thing). I would put money on it that he tells you that to go 'single' properly will cost upwards of £10k. He'll recommend stock turbo's with a bleed valve will suffice power wise (no fancy electronics), and that all your gains in performance will be made with a decent diff (TRD), good suspension setup (his) and decent brakes ('Uk' with his fast road pads).

That’s not meant to sound disrespectful towards Chris (it's genuine not!), he is totally correct ....from a race engineers point of view :)

Already got UK brakes and Koni adjustables so that should knock 9k off the price,i wish.

So a bigger single with the fmic could possibly produce 500,something to test my soon to be C.W.fitted RLTC on.

Consider - what exactly 500 horses feels like ? What's it going to be like as your daily drive - in a streetable sense ?

People - who want to go single .. should take some demo's in Supra's that have already been converted and setup. Rather than, just pick a performance figure out.

With the demo's - a baseline will given.

Already got UK brakes and Koni adjustables so that should knock 9k off the price,i wish.

I edited my post a little, so please re-read :)

The £10k plus is for the engine alone, let alone the ECU side of things.

His suspension (which I've experienced first hand and is absolutely superb) costs around £1.5k. The TRD diff £500+ fitting, UK refurbish setup with decent lines, pads and fluid will cost another £350.

I'm not trying to p*ss on your bonfire oranything. You just need to decide your aims for the car :)

As Clarkey says, 500bhp is an enormous amount of power. Have you driven a RWD car with that much power before?

I edited my post a little, so please re-read :)

The £10k plus is for the engine alone, let alone the ECU side of things.

His suspension (which I've experienced first hand and is absolutely superb) costs around £1.5k. The TRD diff £500+ fitting, UK refurbish setup with decent lines, pads and fluid will cost another £350.

I'm not trying to p*ss on your bonfire oranything. You just need to decide your aims for the car :)

As Clarkey says, 500bhp is an enormous amount of power. Have you driven a RWD car with that much power before?

No but wouldn't mind trying.I'm a very experienced bike rider which does amount to something,especially when you can control it at 80mph on the back wheel.

Bike rider, thats good as you have appreciation of real acceleration :)

Now, just imagine a moderm 750cc sports bike accerleration, but with 1.5 tons of inertia.

Its something you should really experience for yourself before going for a single... that said I know of few people that have been discouranged after being a passenger in one!

The only serious Supra tuners I can think close you are RSE motorsport in North Wales and Envy in Newcastle.

Bike rider, thats good as you have appreciation of real acceleration :)

Now, just imagine a moderm 750cc sports bike accerleration, but with 1.5 tons of inertia.

Its something you should really experience for yourself before going for a single... that said I know of few people that have been discouranged after being a passenger in one!

The only serious Supra tuners I can think close you are RSE motorsport in North Wales and Envy in Newcastle.

I know what you're saying.After having bikes on and off for a few years getting into cars isn't quite the same but with a soop you're not far off having the same experience.

I know what you're saying.After having bikes on and off for a few years getting into cars isn't quite the same but with a soop you're not far off having the same experience.

I am new to this forum but not to big singles, i have had a T61 in a Supra, a T88 in a Skyline, a T04Z in a Skyline and now a T04R in a Supra ranging from 735BHP in the Skyline to 550 in the first Supra and the figures look very impressive but you will be losing drivability and spending a whole lot of money (T04Z cost me 18K on Skyline with ECU, Fueling and Exhaust!) with it as well, the best advice would be to test drive a big single and see if you could live with the drive every day, I find 500-600 more than enough for every day use and with RWD any more needs extra traction control to prevent wild wheel spins!

My advice - make it a weekend car!!!

Jokes aside, good advise about going for a drive in one first, I am in the process of arranging that.

A supra with 500BHP is going to be an absolute MONSTER!!! Especially if its an everyday drive, especially if you have it setup for track use, IE suspension and braking wise.

EDIT: As for cost, well not entirely sure, but I am spending about 3 - 4K on the supporting mods alone. That doesnt even include the engine build, the turbo kit, the suspension, the diff or the brakes. Ok I have UK spec brakes front and rear, which helps, but a 10K budget is what it is starting to look like.

I have a BL T61 on auto the biuld work for the turbo was approx £12500 but this did not inc the suspension. i am running on a stock bottom end at the mo but did have cams etc and all the usual bits, see my garage for the spec fella....@ under 1.4 bar she makes approx 550bhp.. wich for the road and track is more than plenty.. in fact its an animal IMO