The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake pad question ?

Jez

A cry for help from someone more knowledgeable than me

I need new front pads quick for the MOT - went to local Toyota he mashed the details into his computer and came up with two variations

1) set of pads £52

2) set of pads(£50) plus another item(£30)

Item 2 was listed with the wheel sizes of 235/45,RR - 255/40

guy didn't know the answer wants money up front so won't order both options

The car is a Mar 95 J Spec TT

Any ideas greatly received

No offence intended mate but I seriously doubt it. Those are 6 pot KADs.

Look, we're getting nowhere here. You need to find out if you have the usual j-spec brakes (Same pads as the Lexus GS300) or the UK spec (and an optional extra on some JDM Supras) brakes, in which case you need UK spec Supra pads.

I can't help you anymore than that with the info you have given.

No offence taken - thanks for the pointers - will take a picture when the light comes up and repost then.

I'm only just past the four black rubber things one in each corner and the pedal on the right makes you go faster so I just compared your photo to what a remember mine looking like ie about the same proportional size taking into account your on 19 i'm on 18's

but many thanks for the help

PS that 2000RZ look really nice

Could be Homer - Am i right in thinking that the uk stock is a 4 pot. My car is a Jspec but could have been modded before i got it, but an unmodded jspec would have 2 pot fronts wouldn't it?

UK stock is indeed the 4 pot. These were optional on the factory J-spec cars, but its not unusual for them to have the 'uk' spec brake systems, especially in the 95+ models. Do you know your model code? Could well be an RZ-S model which would normally have the 4 pot option.

They look like uk brakes to me just badly painted.

For a stockist, do a search for a guy called Steve Manley, he is a Toyota parts manager and gets parts cheaper than most.

Alternatively if you are not in a hurry "Nic" can get parts cheap if you don't mind a wait as he is in Hong Kong.