The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TURBO cool down TIME?

NIALLRUSSELL_HO

Personally I wouldn't bother with a turbo timer mate - best and safer just to stay with the car before your turn it off.

Insurance companies don't like them either. ;)

i agree, i dont like leaving the car when its still running anyway

drive home off boost for a few mins then mine is set to just 30 seconds (I still wait with the car but the timer helps to stop me forgetting and switching it straight off).

If it were straight after a full out drive I'd probably allow 2 or 3 minutes at least, that's why I usually just drive gently on approach to my destination

Guest dee_rz

if you have really driven the car hard then 3 mins, if you have only driven around slow with barely any foot to the floor moments then 1 min, basically a sliding scale from 3 mins depending on how hard you have driven, a turbo timer or most as mine does idles the car at normal cars idle rpm but ideally for at least 30 seconds after a hard drive you should sit in the car for 30 seconds and hold revs at 1 and a half thousand rpm then let the turbo timer do it's thing or let it idle for the rest of the required time, 1.5krpm is the idea rpm for a turbo cool down, apparently due to the way it will curcuilate the oil through the turbo better (all for race tuner books.. top tip :) )

turbo timer = complete waste of money, i fitted one ages ago but now never use it, if you want to know exactly how your engine is doing fit an oil temp gauge, after a "spirited" run it can take up to 15 minutes slow cruising to cool the oil down, you will find with a temp gauge leaving the car stationery (with no air moving through it) running on a timer the oil temp will start to creep up again