The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Greddy Informeter - does it work on our suprae?

JohnA

Only compatible with the 97+ VVTi Supras (ie not compatible with pre 97 J-spec Supras) according to their Japanese catalogue. I'm not so familiar with the UK spec, so not sure if that info is of any help or not.

Thanks Nic, from googling I can only find cut/paste from their basic literature.

The manual isn't that enlightening either.

I know about VVTi, other dataloggers are compatible with those too. I was just hoping that this one might do the trick, since comes with an extra connector for a non-ODB protocol (Nissan though)

• 1 year later...

After finding this old thread ('tps' Problem - Case Notes - indicating that there was indeed an OBDII port on the VVTi), I'd thought I'd give a Intelligent Informeter a try.

Found a 'new' one going cheap on oBoy (the original purchaser had bought it for his Nissan, only to discover that it had a non-OBDII compliant, aftermarket ECU fitted). At first I thought I was going to struggle to get it to work because the port pictured in the thread above (round one) looked nothing like the plug on the Informeter. However, after reading that thread in more detail, I realised that the OBDII port is quite literally next to the bonnet release: you just can't see it very well in the picture; I've attached another which hopefully shows it a bit better.

So, plugged in OK and, with the key in the ACC position, the Informeter turned on but reported a 'no communication' error. A quick check of the set-up revealed that it was still set to a Nissan protocol so I changed to Toyota but still no joy. However, turning the key to ON position suddenly brought the thing to life. :eyebrows:

OK, so this things a bit of a toy but it's pretty cool actually, IMO. It does all sorts of graphical representations of gauges and monitors (and can warn on) any parameters that the ECU knows about and transmits to OBDII.

For instance, straightaway I could see that the temperature of the coolant and the air intake was 43 deg. Farenheit before I'd even started the car! Once running, I could see ignition advance, speed (in mph or kmh - could be used to avoid having to use a speedo converter?) and revs as well. I'm not sure (because I haven't played with it much yet) but I'll probably be able to see other things too: battery voltage, injector cycle (?), oxygen(?), EGT (not sure if the OEM ECU measures this) ... I'll let you know.

Img_0676 (Large).jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest Turbo819
After finding this old thread ('tps' Problem - Case Notes - indicating that there was indeed an OBDII port on the VVTi), I'd thought I'd give a Intelligent Informeter a try.

Found a 'new' one going cheap on oBoy (the original purchaser had bought it for his Nissan, only to discover that it had a non-OBDII compliant, aftermarket ECU fitted). At first I thought I was going to struggle to get it to work because the port pictured in the thread above (round one) looked nothing like the plug on the Informeter. However, after reading that thread in more detail, I realised that the OBDII port is quite literally next to the bonnet release: you just can't see it very well in the picture; I've attached another which hopefully shows it a bit better.

So, plugged in OK and, with the key in the ACC position, the Informeter turned on but reported a 'no communication' error. A quick check of the set-up revealed that it was still set to a Nissan protocol so I changed to Toyota but still no joy. However, turning the key to ON position suddenly brought the thing to life. :eyebrows:

OK, so this things a bit of a toy but it's pretty cool actually, IMO. It does all sorts of graphical representations of gauges and monitors (and can warn on) any parameters that the ECU knows about and transmits to OBDII.

For instance, straightaway I could see that the temperature of the coolant and the air intake was 43 deg. Farenheit before I'd even started the car! Once running, I could see ignition advance, speed (in mph or kmh - could be used to avoid having to use a speedo converter?) and revs as well. I'm not sure (because I haven't played with it much yet) but I'll probably be able to see other things too: battery voltage, injector cycle (?), oxygen(?), EGT (not sure if the OEM ECU measures this) ... I'll let you know.

Do you know if the Intelligent Informeter shows Check Engine Codes on the 2jzgte vvti???

Edited by Turbo819 (see edit history)

This version doesn't - it only shows a count of how many error codes are stored (so zero is the number you want to see). The later version - Informeter Touch - is meant to show the actual codes as is the Blitz RVit.

I have found that the built in boost gauge reading is not particularly useful - the scale is hKpa and reads -0.33 (on my car) when I would expect it to be zero (engine not running).

The O2 volt reading might be useful - at idle, I think it should oscillate around 0.45V. Mine does but the range of readings goes from 0.02 to 0.79. This wide range might indicate that the O2 sensor is slow to react to changes and I might need a new one ...