The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is This Puncture Repairable?

DrivingTheDream

Hello buddy. Long time no speak!!!

I had the same, exact puncture 3 weeks ago buddy, but the hole was a lot bigger, SAME spot though. TOO close to sidewall to fix, sorry buddy, more than his jobs worth to repair that.. APART from that, hows things??

what were the exact circumstances re your puncture? how do you know its the source of it?

When I blow the tyre up max I can feel the air escaping. I'm not sure how it happened at all TBH. Its in a wierd place, I aint kerbed anything, and its to small for someone to have slashed it.

Hello buddy. Long time no speak!!!

I had the same, exact puncture 3 weeks ago buddy, but the hole was a lot bigger, SAME spot though. TOO close to sidewall to fix, sorry buddy, more than his jobs worth to repair that.. APART from that, hows things??

I'm good thanks Derek mate apart from the twat round the corner pinching my parking space, my puncture and the fact I dont want to start changing my pads as its going to piss down by the looks of it lol.

Hows you?!

I'm sure you can repair that, I recon the tyre fitter thought it was a little difficult too repair but I if you shop around you will find a good tyre fitter that will be able to repair??

I've been told of one to try but its a good few mile away so I might go on Monday before I part with the cash for a new tyre. The young un that had a look was obviously clueless. I even had to go in and tell the little runt to put my wheel back on. All 3 of them were stood round the garage for 15 mins doing F all with me standing round like a nob.

Thing is I dont want to put myself at risk by repairing something thats a bit iffy....

I cant remember the measurements but there are DOT rules regaridng repair. The site of your puncture is well out side the permissable repair zone. I think it is bacause the punturing object may have penetrated the side wall and side wall repairs are illeagal due to the risk of sudden deflation.

I'm good thanks Derek mate apart from the twat round the corner pinching my parking space, my puncture and the fact I dont want to start changing my pads as its going to piss down by the looks of it lol.

Hows you?!

Pretty good mate!!. Big meet on monday at Mascrat, then a week on friday JAE buddy, you going??

I've been told of one to try but its a good few mile away so I might go on Monday before I part with the cash for a new tyre. The young un that had a look was obviously clueless. I even had to go in and tell the little runt to put my wheel back on. All 3 of them were stood round the garage for 15 mins doing F all with me standing round like a nob.

Thing is I dont want to put myself at risk by repairing something thats a bit iffy....

Speak to the recommended fitter first and if he agrees its risky then change it but if he recons its fine to do and your convinced on what his telling you then go for it- don't forget at the end of the day if you have doubt then play it safe.

It is not just you at risk, if you have a sudden deflation and cause an accident and investigators find and illegal repair, your insurance company will dump you and you could be prosecuted.

Throw it away, anyone who repairs that is crazy.

It is not just you at risk, if you have a sudden deflation and cause an accident and investigators find and illegal repair, your insurance company will dump you and you could be prosecuted.

Prosecuted for what Phil? He'd still be insured.

I agree that tyre isn't worth repairing, just wondering about the insurance /leagl situation you mentioned.

I cant find the link now but I did read some time ago, that a puncture repaired tire is no longer speed rated.

You are bound to keep a vehicle in a legal and road worthy condition. Having a tire illegally repaired may constiute a diliberate act of neglegence and possibly invalidate insurance.

When one of my relatives was killed in a smash, the police investigation report, went over everything. The detail was incredible, including the condition of the tires. They were obviously looking for contributary factors. But there were none, the other driver a daft old bitch fell asleep at the wheel.

If you had one with an illegal repair, I think you would be stuffed, in an investigation like that.

I cant find the link now but I did read some time ago, that a puncture repaired tire is no longer speed rated.

You are bound to keep a vehicle in a legal and road worthy condition. Having a tire illegally repaired may constiute a diliberate act of neglegence and possibly invalidate insurance.

When one of my relatives was killed in a smash, the police investigation report, went over everything. The detail was incredible, including the condition of the tires. They were obviously looking for contributary factors. But there were none, the other driver a daft old bitch fell asleep at the wheel.

If you had one with an illegal repair, I think you would be stuffed, in an investigation like that.

If this is in conjunction with my post I was not saying having it done illegal but looking at the position of his circle on the tyre it is not on the side wall from what i can see? I would agree having a new tyre is probably the safest and wisest decision.

a diliberate act of neglegence and possibly invalidate insurance.
I'm fairly sure that if you do something which invalidates you insurance you are still insured for third party claims, so you're still insured legally. Your fully comp claims are invalidated of course.

As I understand it from reading a legal forum (uk.legal), an insurance company can't legally refuse claims from third parties because their insured broke the law in some way or even if they lied to them to get cover. If you have a policy you are covered, come what may.

Obviously you may still be prosecuted for doing something which made your vehicle unroadworthy.

ps

Not trying to argue with you here Phil, just trying to clarify this confusing insurance situation.