The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4wd Jza80

sleeky

Hi guys

Have been pondering this for a while.

The Aristo 4ltr has 4wd, as far as i am aware its a derivative of the 4 speed auto supra/soarer/ls400 gearbox which looks identical other than a belt coming out half way down the casing which links to a return shaft to the front subframe to drive the front wheels.

So in theory using off the shelf toyota parts i figure you could make a 4wd 4 speed auto supra mk4 :)

Any opinions on this?

I knew of one 4wd supra but i heard this used an RB26 and drivetrain.

Im in the motions of doing a project MK4 and was wondering if it would be worth incorporating this idea into the project also within the future.

Lee

i think i have heard of one as you say but i think the main question you'll get is, why?

surely there would be even greater transmission losses among other negatives that would come with it?

am not saying it's a bad idea or don't do it but you have to wonder why it's not been done more than once or twice before.

The UZS143 isnt actually all that heavy :) I've got it on good authority it weighs in at around 1700kgs.

I know that if you wanted to make a 4WD you probabaly wouldnt want it to be automatic - but coming from a GT4 background i appreciate being able to pull a car back from a 90 degree sideways angle lol

I saw a UZS143 going cheap ages ago....maybe something for me to think about.

Just thought you guys may like the idea of a 4WD supra :D Its different ;) hehe

The UZS143 isnt actually all that heavy :) I've got it on good authority it weighs in at around 1650kgs.

I know that if you wanted to make a 4WD you probabaly wouldnt want it to be automatic - but coming from a GT4 background i appreciate being able to pull a car back from a 90 degree sideways angle lol

I saw a UZS143 going cheap ages ago....maybe something for me to think about.

Just thought you guys may like the idea of a 4WD supra :D Its different ;) hehe

I'd go for 4wd if I could introduce a really sophisticated system like the EVO's...otherwise I'd suggest optimising your RWD traction via a upgraded LSD such as the TRD one.