The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual mode

mattanna

Now i have found the joy of manual mode on the auto, are you supposed to let the power off when you change up(foot off throttle) or does the box sort it out even if you do not do this, i had a stilo abarth with a tiptronic system(surely manual mode is like selespeed without hand paddles), which just let you change up whenever you wanted and it sorted the revs etc out??, seems to be a bit eratic at the moment when changing up and have not decided which is best method for speed of shift

only started using the manual mode on mine a few days ago and i was gona post the same question. i hope they say you dont come of the revs :blink: i agree with you mattanna about it being eratic and i find myself passing straight through second and into third half the time!

only started using the manual mode on mine a few days ago and i was gona post the same question. i hope they say you dont come of the revs :blink: i agree with you mattanna about it being eratic and i find myself passing straight through second and into third half the time!

it comes with practice matey... easy does it;)

call me stupid if this is complete rubbish burt but here goes. you say there is a delay in the change, which ive noticed,so change 1000rpm below the redline. when you do this during the slight dealy do the revs still climb nearer to the redline??

yes matey.. thats why you need to cahenger approx 1000rpm before

so if you are at full throttle when you get to about 5500rpm change gear and the box will have changed gear just before the revs hit the limiter

I knocked it into neutral today, not recommended, but soon knocked her back into third, find manual mode is much better for launching, seems to pick up better than in drive(i am in an n/a), flat spot in 2nd does not seem as bad

Does anyone else lose traction changing manually from 1st to 2nd full throttle??

Yip I do but ever so lightly.

One thing I have noticed and I have a TT that when using the manu mode thats there is a noise like a drumming noise, its hard to explain but maybe like that drumming in your ear when you drive with your window open but that coming from under the bonnet, anyone else get that?

I use manual to launch to, always seems a little faster to take off.

Mine defo spins, but usually spins in 1st before I get near second. As soon as the 2nd turbo boosts in 1st whether dry or wet in manual, wheels spin like mad unless I lift my foot a bit!

Id also like to know how this works.

You have L & 2.

I was under the impression that L is for pulling of in bad weather, eg snow so pulls of in a higher gear. Not presumably good for quick pull off's.

Does pushing the Manual button change the gear back to first hence giving full acceleration back?

Carl

Id also like to know how this works.

You have L & 2.

I was under the impression that L is for pulling of in bad weather, eg snow so pulls of in a higher gear. Not presumably good for quick pull off's.

Does pushing the Manual button change the gear back to first hence giving full acceleration back?

Carl

Yes manual does what it says on the tin, L is first gear,2 is second gear and d is 3rd gear, you can shift up and down, there is no fourth gear or overdrive, to change back down to l you have to press the side button in, you can shift between the other gears without pressing this, so therefore you can accelerate as if in a manual really, but without the clutch, and keep the revs as you want without the autobox being clever and shafting your gears about as it sees fit, obviously in auto mode when in d you would be in drive and not stay in 3rd gear as you do in manual

Yip I do but ever so lightly.

One thing I have noticed and I have a TT that when using the manu mode thats there is a noise like a drumming noise, its hard to explain but maybe like that drumming in your ear when you drive with your window open but that coming from under the bonnet, anyone else get that?

yeah i get this too i was gonna post a thread up about it, what are ya thinking it is? screwed gear box??

What exactly does the manual button do? You can change manually with or without it?

Well not exactly... With manual turned off, all L or 2 do is stop the box from changing up past that gear whereas with manual mode on it specifally uses the gear selected regardless of what speed you are doing etc.

To demonstarate:

A: Manual mode off

Put the lever in the '2' position and pull away. The car will pull away in 1st gear and change up to 2nd but will then stay in 2nd until you slow down.

B: Manual mode on

Do the same again, lever in '2' position and then pull away. The car will now actually pull away in 2nd gear and will never change up OR down!

Just gives you that little bit more control

i found that the best way to learn how to use the manu mode is to do track day, as when i am just driving normally in auto and tyhern swith to manu mode i found it to be a little alien.. took a while to get back into practice again but defo prefer tyhe manual mode for the twisties etc... having the vest of both worlds is a big bonus

What would have made the MANU mode really sweet for me would have been the option of selecting 4th (overdrive) with the overdrive on/off button then I wouldn't have to keep changing modes all the time to keep the revs down once I'd finished my "play".:D

BTW I too, popped it into neutral when I was overtaking someone the other day - the needle nearly went right round!! :blink: Defo not recommended but very easily done!

ok, so that's that all explained to me! .... ta

Now how about's this "overdrive" thing??

Overdrive on with Manu off will let car engage 4th gear

Overdrive off with Manu on will not allow the car to engage 4th gear

Overdrive is 4th gear.

In Manu mode

L = 1st gear

2 = 2nd gear

D = 3rd gear

O/d is 4th gear but will not engage unless you switch Manu off

In normal mode with Manu mode off

L = 1st gear

2 = 2nd gear

D = 3rd gear and 4th gear