The mkiv Supra Owners Club

write offs qucik question??

DBR

Hi all just a qucikie, whats a 'cat d' write off?.... anything to worry about when buying a car.....?

i have seen a couple of 'cat c' write offs nocking around that never seem to get sold, any sort off write off seems to be a turnoff for buyers, there was a 'cat c' uk tt manual for £7-8k on 60k miles on pistonheads for a while that never got sold a while back............ does it seriously deteriate the value off the car that much?

thanks

Basically here is the differences:

CAT D: Car is repairable, but would cost more than 60% of the pre accident value, but less than 100%. No chassis Damage.

CAT C: Car is repairable, but would cost more than vehicle is worth. No Chassis Damage. Needs a VIC (vehicle identity check) before you can get your hands on the V5.

CAT B: Chassis damage. Can on only be sold for parts, must never go back on the road.

CAT A: Fire or Flood damage. MUST be crushed.

If i was going to buy a previous Total Loss car, i would only buy a previous CAT D, because its repairable and doesnt need a VIC which is an arse as there are only about 10 testing stations in the UK.

If your going to buy a previous total loss car then get a certified engineer to inspect to confirm repaired properly, costs about £60-100 ish. I have tel numbers if interested.

Any more questions just PM me.

Guest RichJ
regarding the cat D category im sure ive seen cars which have been stolen and then classed as cat D although they did not sustain any damage :blink: or was the advertiser trying to pull a quick one?

Sound like the advertiser was trying to pull a quick one to me.

If it was stolen and recovered undamaged before the insurance was paid out then it would be passed back to the owner.

If it was stolen and recovered undamaged after the insurance was paid out then surely it would make sense for the insurance company to just auction it off and not devalue it by making it a write-off?

i had a CAT C supra and it was fine, jsut have to make sure it was all repaired well. It will effect re-sale price tbh as most people dont wanna know but there are some bargins to be had.

same here i have a cat c uk supra. its all down to the quality of the repair .the panal fit and paint on my car are as good as new in fact better paint than most new mercedes. all it meant to me was a cosmeticaly perfect car with a few new mechanical parts at a saving of £2000 pounds on the value. but its true you have to be carefull as every car is different. there are lots of badly repaired cars which are not recorded where as i have a fully documented photographic history of my repair.

i also have a audi 2.5 tdi cat d which i have had for 4 years which was written off in while i owned it(not by me) this also looks years newer than its age and has lots of new bonus bits( rad ,fans ,pumps etc) again great car no probs

Sound like the advertiser was trying to pull a quick one to me.

If it was stolen and recovered undamaged after the insurance was paid out then surely it would make sense for the insurance company to just auction it off and not devalue it by making it a write-off?

insurance companies dont always take the cheapest route. with my audi iwas paid 3250 as a write off which they let me buy back for £250(i couldnt beleive it i would have paid £700-900) it then cost me only £500 to repair to a better than pre accident condition ok i wasnt a main agent repair but i did none of the work myself just found the right paintshop/garage

win win win

Guest RichJ
insurance companies dont always take the cheapest route. with my audi iwas paid 3250 as a write off which they let me buy back for £250(i couldnt beleive it i would have paid £700-900) it then cost me only £500 to repair to a better than pre accident condition ok i wasnt a main agent repair but i did none of the work myself just found the right paintshop/garage

win win win

I agree, insurance companies dont really seem to care most of the time, if they spend more money then they just stick the premiums up! Although I dont see even them being dumb enough to write off an undamaged car.