The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Beaten by an Evo

charlieboo

My BPU 96 TT was beaten by an Evo VI last night on the motorway. Stayed with him from around 50 until around 110 then HE began to pull away. At the next set of lights, he told me that it was a stock 2.0 turbo. :wtf:

The only known issues with my TT are that the Intercooler has seen better days and I haven’t replaced my fuel filter yet.

I get a noticeable surge of power at 4000rpm, but not as severe as when the CATs were in. Also, my exhaust smells like Optimax.

I’m now convinced that something is wrong. Any ideas on what to check?

Sounds like somethings wrong with your car or driving! A stock Evo is an easy kill top end (you can even beat one from standing start if you launch hard in the dry) for a BPU supra

You are possibly loosing boost - what boost level do you go upto?

Power to weight isnt as important the higher the speeds, then its aero dynamics and power, where the Supra should outperform.

Sounds like your car isnt putting out the power it should be fella, either that or the guy is lying about his.

I don’t claim to be Schumacher, but my driving is not that bad.

It was on a stretch of straight motorway, was perfectly dry and he had a passenger that has obviously been to McDonalds more times than would be considered healthy.

He was only a youngster, about 21 and I think he would have been more inclined to exaggerate the spec of the Evo rather than play it down.

I’ve seen it said (written) on here, that the surge of power at 4000rpm when BPU is quite violent, is this true?

Could be a number of factors.

Do you run an after market air filter? Heat soak and the general temperatures at the moment could be doing it. I've noticed a fair reduction in power compared to cold weather since I got back from hols. Is your I/C in good condition? Has it been serviced recently? Plugs changed recently? etc. etc. Get the car checked over by a pro if you're concerned.

my old 380 BHP Colt Sapporro had a diesel badge on the boot lid, just to wind folks up.

You should stick one on the back of the Skyline ;)

Yeah, the car came with an after market air filter and my I/C is poor. The engine bay gets really hot, but I assumed this was normal for Supes. The temp guage read's normal.

Got new plugs, fuel pump, oil filter, all fluids changed, etc, etc.

I've wraped heat shield around the air intake pipes for the time being, but it's not made any noticable difference. Will a new I/C make a big difference?

Pete I doubt that would make much difference as the race was from a roll. I'd imagine heat soak would only really make the car bog and suffer at lower down speeds?

It sounds to me is that he was running higher boost. A knackered intercooler will result in less cold air going into your engine needed for the extra power.

well it's interesting you stayed with him initially and then started to fall behind, if anything it probably should have been the other way around...

this might indicate that your intercooler is getting saturated and can't cope?

also what fuel do you use? have you tried an ecu reset?

why does it only run .9 to 1 bar? most run 1.2 bar unless you have deliberately fitted a smaller restrictor?

Pete I doubt that would make much difference as the race was from a roll. I'd imagine heat soak would only really make the car bog and suffer at lower down speeds?

You're right I think, it would make more difference at low speed, especially from standing as there's no air flow through the engine bay at all. But sucking hot air in is no good whatever speed.

I reckon I/C. (without looking at it of course). Maybe slight air leak? After market pipes? Silicon hoses? Perished rubber?

firstly, would it not be an idea to spend £40 and stick it on a rolling road to check the power ? purely for your own curiosity too.

You could be spending a lot of time/money/effort all for nothing cos the cheeky chappy in the evo was having you on.

May be worth a quick look on the evo forum to see if anyone recently posted thread about whooping a supra down xyz road at blah time - i'm sure they would be blagging about it....blimey we do enough of the time. then find out if he was having you on.

Its an undisputed fact that a standard supra (not even BPU) would accelerate quicker than a standard Evo6 from at least 60mph+.

My BPU 96 TT was beaten by an Evo VI last night on the motorway. Stayed with him from around 50 until around 110 then HE began to pull away. At the next set of lights, he told me that it was a stock 2.0 turbo. :wtf:

The only known issues with my TT are that the Intercooler has seen better days and I haven’t replaced my fuel filter yet.

I get a noticeable surge of power at 4000rpm, but not as severe as when the CATs were in. Also, my exhaust smells like Optimax.

I’m now convinced that something is wrong. Any ideas on what to check?

Which EVO9??

There are different versions, and even though he says "stock" 420BHP is classified as stock, when it comes from the factory like that...

They come in some different versions (BHP versions):

300 - I think this one exists...

480 - heard rumours of this, but I have not read any about it, but havent exactly been looking either...

I also remember reading some where that an EVO9, with a simple fuel pump change, and some very minor parts under the bonnet, plus an ECUTek flash, will get about 410BHP...

EDIT - I have shootout article, where I believe it is the 420 version beats down on a lambo on 1/4 mile (under correction on this, and will check when I get home).

You missed the point there. He was with an Evo VI - 6, not 9.

DOH!!! I apologise... Mine roman numerals are pathetic, point proven...

Ok, well the evoVI, came in the lightweight version, which in the real world ran about 350bhp...

which in the real world ran about 350bhp...

is this true?

if so why such a big deal about the FQ series such as the FQ400 (and its large price tag!) - if they were 350 already then it would hardly be anything significant let alone warrent a massive price tag and plenty of hype