The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you clean an engine bay?

Rob Davey

I went to clean my engine bay the other day with halfords engine cleaner, a sponge and a watering can. Then everyone went "Noooooooo keep the water away, its got electrics in there." So i didn't clean it.

My bloody car sits in the rain, i drive in the rain and water is genrally needed to clean things! what the hell am i meant to do!!!! :(

Spray on degreaser, brush it in on stubborn bits, LOW PRESSURE water (watering can or hose without a nozzle on it) avoiding drenching major electrical items and avoiding things like cam cover. Works for me and car is still working.

On my Delica, it regularly gets very dirty inside the engine bay from off roading and fording. And I use the same method on that as well.

Be sensible about where you water and you will be ok.

Guest AlxRSPTT

I just got some grocery bags covered my battery and that was it. Got some mild degreaser sprayed the engine bay down and did some scrubbing where i needed to. I've done it before with a pressure washer, and no problems so far. Been doing it for 3 years and i know plenty of other people that have as well.

After that I usualy spray the bay down with some foam tire dressing and go take a drive around to let it dry itself. Its always worked for me this way though.

When you think about it most of your electrical connections and components in your engine are designed to keep out most water. Its not like your engine stays completely dry when your driving ya know. ;)

Alex

My Skyline engine's been hot water pressure washed dozens of times, so have both the race cars, and my old MKIV Supra must have had the pressure washer treatment loads of times, too. So long as they get a good run very soon afterwards they will be fine, modern jap connectors are pretty much waterproof.