The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing stock tape/cd unit in Supra

Polemarch

Hi all. I want to upgrade the player in my soop as it's the original unit and not really that great. I'm not interested in fancy ICE setups, just a good unit for the stock speakers. Any suggestions? Also, I'd like one that fits as well as possible in the awkward space of the Supra. iPod compatible woul dbe nice but not essential.

I like the PIONEER DEH-P77MP, just because it has a low key, stylish look and sounds really nice. Anybody have one and will it fit flush?

2nd. What do I do about the gap left? Is there a blanking plate or even better, storage space thing to put wallet etc?

Thanks in advance.

if you want an ipod compatible one, i'd strongly recommend the Alpine CDE-9850Ri.

i fitted this myself in about half an hour (not including a trip to halfords for an ISO adaptor for the aerial fitting which you'd probably need for any new radio).

it has a direct link to ipod which i ran into the arm-rest glove box. this charges my ipod and lets me search and skip through tracks using the head unit's controls and unlike others, with it being a direct connection there are no 'interface' boxes or anything so it's just a straight wire connection.

you can see mine here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=63832

Thats cool, in fact, that is the one I was thinking of buying as my 2nd choice. The iPod interface is a big plus! Did you need to remove he dash during your installation? I'e got the crappy Toyota stock tape/cd player.

Yeah, the dash needs to come out but it's easy really and shouldn't be as daunting as it is the first time round. there's a guide on here somewhere mate.

if it's the 2-din stock radio you have you'll also need the ISO adaptors for the audio/power wires as well as the aerial. might be a good idea to get the pocket or shelf as you can see below mine, this just screws into the cage which the stock unit comes out of.

easy-peasey mate.

Thanks. I'd like an install just like yours. Do you get the tray from Toyota or are there 'compatible' ones around?

It's a Toyota tray in mine, it's an old one I used to have in my MR2 - should be available from them still along with the cupholder options and blanking plates. Might be worth visiting a few breakers?

There is a universal one that a few people have used - I think it's Autoleads part.

There is a universal one that a few people have used - I think it's Autoleads part.

Mine was already fitted when i bought the car but I think Michael is right. Am sure i remember seeing somewhere that you can get that from Halfrauds too, it's listed as being a Volvo fitment though but still fits fine apparently.

Thats cool, in fact, that is the one I was thinking of buying as my 2nd choice. The iPod interface is a big plus! Did you need to remove he dash during your installation? I'e got the crappy Toyota stock tape/cd player.

You'll need to take the dash panels off to get access :)

I`ve got the Alpine 9857R in mine and I love it. Apparently Alpine were the first head unit manufacturer to integrate with the I Pod and although many head units are now I Pod friendly, not all display the same number of letters for the track, artist etc...Some only show the first five letters, which I guess would be frustrating at times.

• 8 months later...
Guest RyanHarding

hey

I'm just wondering if you might have a site or maby know of a link to something that can help me learn how to replace my head unit(taking apart the dash) the reason i am asking is because i havnt done it before and I dont want to do it wrong and screw it up i would like some extra information on and some pictures if it is possible. the reason i picked you is because i saw that you wrote a forum on replacing it and i was just hoping you might be able to give me a better insight on it.

thank you

Ryan