The mkiv Supra Owners Club

knocking noise front of sup...?

Lee GZ

HI Guys,

Quick question, I’ve got a knocking noise coming from the front of my sup and it seems to be getting worse..! Only notice it when i go over bumps, also if I kick either of the front wheels i also get it then..? Yet another expense to add to my list :( also its vibrating a lot when im on the motor way etc.. hoping that’s just tracking unrelated..?

Any ideas guys Bushes, bearings...?

thanks

Morning p00t happy birthday BIG BOY.!! :yahoo: Catching up with me hehe

you enjoying yet another day at work just browsing the internet easy life lol :p na still not convinced its the subframe..? Mainly because when i kick the wheels they knock too.. Think im going to check my wheel nuts a lunch like pig suggested because i did have new wheel nuts fitted 3 months or so back.?? Hope is just that..?

Where is it coming from? I had a real noise this morning going over a bump and it sounded like something swinging about behind the dash/gloveboxes on the passenger side.

I just searched the FAQ for subframe and got told no threads match the question - what do i need to type?

m.

If you can feel it when you kick the tyre I doubt its the subframe, the bolts for the subframe are huge and if they were loose enough to move when you kicked the tyre I think your engine wuld have fallen out by now.

I reckon its one of two things,

1) droplinks, mainly because they are right behind the wheels and are one of the only things you can feel knocking through your hand or foot while the car is on the ground. If you've not had them changed, I 'd recommend getting them done, they can make a huge improvment in driver 'feel'. They are also relatively cheap compared to other repairs on the Supra.

2) Track rod ends, I think these only because you've mentioned the steering shake on motorways, sometimes a telltale sign of wear. Easy to diagnose, jack they front wheels up and rock the steering from the wheels, if you feel play or slight knock, my money is on them.

Good luck mate.

I've discovered mine. A dash out moment revealed that the connections for the new stereo were swinging onto the coin box in the dash! That explains why it was so central but at least it confirmed my suspicions.

Edinburgh is so bumpy though it can't be long before drop links will be needed.

m.

Thanks for all the reply's guys..! Really appreciate it. :thumbs:

Would of replied sooner but ive been having a bit of a mission with getting the wheel’s off..! The facia plate that covers the centre of the wheel and the nuts needs a particular size key and yeah mines gone missing..! Think the chap who serviced my car has lost it. :search: Anyone no if they are easy to obtain.?

Anyways two screw drivers and pair of pliers later managed to get the plate off. The wheel nuts were surprisingly loos so i gave them a good tighten, helped a little but the problem is still there. I did notice though that if you knock the wheel while somone presses the brake there is no noise! im sure its the calliper knocking?? I did have my pads changed a couple of months age and to be honest my brakes are still pretty wank.

Any ideas guys what would cause my callipers to knock ?

Planning on having a thorough look at the weekend when I have more time.. Look at the drop links etc cheers for that pistonbroke

lee

:thanks:

Guest mk47
I've discovered mine. A dash out moment revealed that the connections for the new stereo were swinging onto the coin box in the dash! That explains why it was so central but at least it confirmed my suspicions.

Edinburgh is so bumpy though it can't be long before drop links will be needed.

m.

theres a coin box in the dash?? :search: