The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinion - uprated auto or manual (Single)

Pig

Did you go second hand box? What sort of price can it be done for? and what about new?

i doubt you will be able to beat the price i done it for. i done it for just over a grand with 2nd hand parts which included an uprated HKS twinplate clutch. Done it over a weekend too. Not a bad job to do at all in my opinion

There is no way I'd want a single with an autobox.

why not? i stuck with the auto for over a year and it was fine. The only reason i swapped is because i fancied something diffefrent. although now ive actually done it, i'd never go back:)

I too would never go back - well maybe for town driving and traffic jams! It does totally transform the car. Also id wager its faster down the 1/4 than when it was stock auto.

What put me off the BL box was the need for a high stall TC to get the most from it, I dont like the revy nature of these in normal driving.

I went down the path of getting a donor car, cost a fair bit more that Lee's but I kneew I had all the parts I needed - went for an uprated clutch though.

My opinion of the job is that some parts are a right pain if, like me, you dont have a ramp and can only get the car 14" or so off the ground.

I also found the pedal work difficult, working in a very confined space.

I have to agree that if you are not doing the work yourself it would probs be cheaper to buy a six speed single and sell your one on.

I also don't know what people views are on having a car that has a vin plate that denotes auto but yet is a manual. I'm just a fussy bar steward and like matching numbers, Non chopped and glued/ rewelded floors yadda yadda . Do people think this would be a problem for future values and re-sale??

Do people think this would be a problem for future values and re-sale??

To the average Joe of course, as its not the geniune car anymore is it? But if its some enthusiast who couldnt care less its not going to affect the price.

To be honest, im not bothered at all about resale value. Ive spent and lost so much money already on various mods. Its now my official toy which i will keep till it goes to the scrappy in the sky. Ive just started a better job too which means this time next year i'll be able to buy a skyline to play about with too:d