The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 Speed Singles - low down power?

outatime

I know singles have been covered to death, but I could do with some imput from those with 6 speeds and single conversions. I am more interested in what you lose low down vs the undeniable top end gains.

It has always been my aim to get singled up at some point, however driving back through wales last night I questioned whether I would get the best out of a single, and whether one would suit the type of driving I do.

Basically, I very rarely venture onto duel carriageways and motorways. 99% of the time my car is used on tight, narrow 'a' and 'b' roads, triple figure leptons are generally out of the question. They are probably 'elise' roads more than 'Supra' roads tbh, but I do think the Supra is very underated on the twisty stuff.

I have the ETTC mod, which I appreciate is nothing like a well tuned single, but when compared to sequential I really miss the 'nippyness' the stock setup gives me for quick overtaking and hooning out of bends. I wonder whether I might be better throwing the cash at getting the suspension and brakes perfected?

I currently have the following (relevant) mods;

Running 1 bar with double de-cat (I took it down from 1.2)

CW SMIC

J-spec Bilstein Suspension

UK Brakes F + R

To cut a long story short, how do you single lot cope with the loss of the early push the 1st turbo gives you. Is it not a problem at all (especially with the smaller turbos) or is it just something you get used to adapting your driving style around?

Thanks.

then go for a small a/r like a .68 i see boost in the 2000 rev range marry that with a high duty on your boost controller will see you right in the nippy stakes

Thanks, a small turbo is definately the way to go if I go single.

Can you honestly say you have never missed the way the twins worked low down, especially on tighter roads? I am trying to justify the hassle of going single against how much use I would get out of it.

It is such a well designed system in the first place, it seems almost a shame to scrap it in the quest for a few more ponies :)

I have always had trouble with my twins, and even when they worked ok for a very short time, i always find the the way they work disappointing, (it may be that they have never worked properly)

the low RPM boost is good but then the wait for the second turbo to kick in feels so flat, coupled with the feeling that there isn't all that much when the second turbo kicks In, like i said there may still be something wrong, but i am now in TTC mode and much prefer it;) at least you feel like your getting a turbo punch, which is like using a small single, which is the direction i will be taking eventually.

I've got a T67 on my car. Prior to that, I had been running TTC for about a year. I was very suprised how much better the T67 pulled low down compared to TTC. Obviously if you go for an even smaller turbo, the response will be even better.

If I were in 6th gear at about 2krpm, then yes, is not what you'd call responsive, but to be fair I wouldn't expect it to.

I know you're a fair way from me, but if you're ever over this way, or a meet when I'm around, you're more than welcome to have a drive.

- Edited to add, no I don't miss the sequential system at all, and if I were to start from scratch, going single would be a high priority for me.

IF you go single I think you want a GT35R with a smallish exhaust A/R.

They spin up pretty damned quick and will give you a fatter torque curve than the stockers can manage. You obviously don't need max power...you need get up a go.

Ignition control on the ECU/Piggyback you use will see you make boost sooner too.

However...if you don't go over 4000rpm much I can't see the point of the expense. I'd stick with the stockers and maybe add a pair of mild (256) cams to beef up the mid range.

I'm not sure from what you've said if it's worth the investment....you'd probably be better hunting fast throttle response and improving the chassis.

Thanks, some food for thought there.

I reduced the boost to 1 bar to stop it overboosting in TTC mode. Also, the 0.2 bar extra didn't make much difference on mine.

TTC does, I assume, give a more single-like delivery but the stock map makes it feel very sluggish off boost. I would hope a reasonably tuned single would be an improvement over TTC low down, but still give the a nice gradual power curve.

I do go over 4k, a lot. I tends to be in second out of corners or third when overtaking for the most part.

Alex, what would the best way to improve throttle response be?

Right if you go over 4k then definately a GT35R or cheaper T61 is for you. Much Much quicker response than TTC stockers...Full boost by ~3000rpm!

TTC mode isn't worth comparing to a single...it's not in the same league.

As for getting better response...lightening things does that :) Pretty much anything other than the stock crank flywheel...lightening anything that moves...like the pistons ;) will give better response.

Ok, I'll have a look into it.

As far as TTC, i'm in no doubt that a small single would be more responsive. I use sequential most the time, but switch it in parallel when I fancy a change or if the roads are a slippy.

I'm still not convinced that even a small single would be suitable for my needs, optimising the sequential system and, like you say, response might give more bang for buck.

Is it worth getting an EMU and mapping it for 1.2 bar on sequentials?

What about the hybrid option? I get the impression they aren't worth bothering with when compared to a T61 or GT35R.

Cost isn't really an issue, I just don't want to spend a shedload on a single, mapping etc and find it doesn't suit my needs.

Ok, I'll have a look into it.

As far as TTC, i'm in no doubt that a small single would be more responsive. I use sequential most the time, but switch it in parallel when I fancy a change or if the roads are a slippy.

I'm still not convinced that even a small single would be suitable for my needs, optimising the sequential system and, like you say, response might give more bang for buck.

Is it worth getting an EMU and mapping it for 1.2 bar on sequentials?

Spirited driving with a small single will be faster than the stockers and the power delivery will be more linear. No torque spikes when the second turbo comes online....but still enough power to make RLTC a requirement ;)

An EMU would be a good investment...for going single.

What about the hybrid option? I get the impression they aren't worth bothering with when compared to a T61 or GT35R.

Cost isn't really an issue, I just don't want to spend a shedload on a single, mapping etc and find it doesn't suit my needs.

Hybrids maybe a good option...however...you'll need just as many peripherals for them as you do a single...and you still get the nasty torque spike...which IMO un-nerve's the suspension...

I don't think you need an EMU though...an EMB will do.

Most find the stock ECU fuels things too richly, being able to trim the fueling back a bit can indeed enhance the performance.

Yeah, you are right. The post I was referring to is here.

The 'ultimate' probably swayed me :)

If I do pursue the emanage on stock turbos route, an 'ultimate' would be more future proof If I do go single at some point though..

I don't miss the sequential system at all, and if I were to start from scratch, going single would be a high priority for me.

Agree 100% ! Having a single turbo .. makes the driving experience alot more enjoyable and the power-delivery is more predictable.