The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Too noisy for a trackday! :-(

montezumola

I've provisionally booked a trackday this month, which has a noise limit of 100dB ... In my quest to get my Supe checked I found a garage over the weekend who tested my car @ 4500rpm with a result of 102/103dB ... :(

I've got a Greddy Racing Ti exhaust & double-decat ... now, the supplied Greddy bung would probably bring the noise down by 7dB's, but I fear that the EGT & turbo temps will rocket with this baffle on a full trackday :shock:

Any ideas to bring the noise down 3dB's and not suffer in performance a la baffle? :search:

You need a much more efficient exhaust system, preferably with at least 3 decent sized silencer boxes in it, like the stock one, but with a bit less restriction. AFAIK the only way to get this is to have something custom made. 90% of the MKIV's I get through here would fail track day noise tests woefully. Adding a "bung" is a BAD idea for track usage, it may cause det.

100db is still pretty generous - my last track day was limited to 97, others to 92 or less...lucky, 'cos my car tested at 92db with a 2nd decat and a dragger (with a hole in it...thanks for the mild steel HKS!)

... Hmmm, looks like I will have to find a track that has more generous dB limits, like 105! Trouble is, they're all at least 120 miles away! :(

Don't fancy risking the bung after Chris W mentioned the possibility of detonation.

Has anybody used exhaust wadding or something 'DIY' to take the note off the exhaust? :search:

Stock cat back is fine for track days, the Skyline world are finding it a PITA to get a Jap aftermarket cat free system to pass noise tests, same as us. I tried 3 popular afrermarket Jap systems on my car, and even with a turbo with a tiny turbine housing and tame cams it didn't get even CLOSE to the limits.