The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Low mileage imports......

DBR

There seems to be tons of low mileage imports about? surely they cant all be low mileage?..... Ive always wondered if there was actually a way of (for certain) finding out if they have been clocked!?, apart from just looking at steering wheel wear, seat wear, pedal wear etc etc.

One ways is to make sure you have jap history i suppose, its just that i was told by someone the other day that all modern garages can check if a car has been clocked!? (never heard it before), it would save a hell of alot of worry for a jap buyers if they knew they could do this (as this is what stopped me from buying a import!?)............ any of you guys/girls heard this before.

cheers

You can use the Bimta check to verify a mileage that it left Japan with providing it went thru auction. Without doubt a lot of the supras over here are clocked even tho they dont show it as all 10yr old cars are going to show signs of where whatever the true mileage.

I did a Bimta check on a car i was going to purchase about 3months ago from a trader on autotrader, you need the chassis number etc.

The car was being sold with 29K mileage on the clock in 2006 in this country. The bimta check said it was sold at auction in Japan on 17/1/2004 at 45K miles

So make of that what you will, its basically 15K miles out at the very least, add to that 2yrs use at 10K miles per yr where talking 35K miles out.

Needless to say i didnt buy it and that 20 quid bimta check saved me from buying a clocked car. Bimta can also check for stolen in japan or finance in japan.

This put me off buying imports that are already here, im now buying a fresh import thru Jurgen, there i can actually see the auction sheet and what im buying.

Like you say every supra on autotrader seems to be less than 60K miles. some may be genuine but a lot are b****** im pretty much certain. Youve only got to look at the UK supra's and see what kinda mileage is on some of them. At least the mileage on the Uk is verified.

You can use the Bimta check to verify a mileage that it left Japan with providing it went thru auction. Without doubt a lot of the supras over here are clocked even tho they dont show it as all 10yr old cars are going to show signs of where whatever the true mileage.

I did a Bimta check on a car i was going to purchase about 3months ago from a trader on autotrader, you need the chassis number etc.

The car was being sold with 29K mileage on the clock in 2006 in this country. The bimta check said it was sold at auction in Japan on 17/1/2004 at 45K miles

So make of that what you will, its basically 15K miles out at the very least, add to that 2yrs use at 10K miles per yr where talking 35K miles out.

Needless to say i didnt buy it and that 20 quid bimta check saved me from buying a clocked car. Bimta can also check for stolen in japan or finance in japan.

This put me off buying imports that are already here, im now buying a fresh import thru Jurgen, there i can actually see the auction sheet and what im buying.

Like you say every supra on autotrader seems to be less than 60K miles. some may be genuine but a lot are b****** im pretty much certain. Youve only got to look at the UK supra's and see what kinda mileage is on some of them. At least the mileage on the Uk is verified.

never heard of the bimta check....thats one good way of telling:) , but what if its been clocked before the auction in japan, cos without jap service history its pretty hard to find out anything about the car? has noone heard of garages being able to check clocked cars for you then, cos it came to a bit of a suprise to me!?, surely if its possible for your local garage to tell you if its been clocked its a very wise thing to do!, if i would have been told about this prior to my supra purchases i may well have got an import ;)

http://www.bimta.org/

Yes it could have been clocked in Japan i suppose but at least your giving yourself the best possible chance of getting a genuine car. Thats just the risk you take with buying imports, at least its not been clocked twice.

I do find it weird that they dont seem to have service history as such in Japan, not like ours anyway with stamps etc, i read somewhere thats its all computerised over there but not entirely sure.

As far as im aware there's no real way of finding out if a cars been clocked or not, you can obviously looks for the tell tale signs of wear but half of these can be changed anyway.