The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advise on new alloys for MKIV Pls!

Foz

Hi All,

i have a 94 TT Aerotop with standard wheels on, and its time for the MOT! But the wheels are so low they wont pass. Ive been looking to upgrade for a while now so nows a good time to get some new tyres with new alloys.

Can anyone suggest any good alloys? Whats the best size? Ive heard anything over 17" and youre looking at a rough ride? Iv also been told its best to put wider ones on the back etc? what size 255s etc? on the front also?. Also where can i get them form the net? Or a local dealer would be better?

As you can tell i have bo idea...ahem....so any advice you can give me would be great!

I need to buy them ASAP to get th car through its test, ive got between 800-1000 to spend!.

Any help would be great!

thanks all.

Foz.

You'll have no problem with 18", they're the most popular aftermarket size.

Have a look in the traders section, they can give the best advice.

Or do a search.

For that sort of budget you might be better off getting some secondhand ones.

TBH m8 I think you'll be hard pressed to find a decent set of wheels for that money, inc new tyres.

As you 17s are a good size to stick with in terms of road holding and comfort, 18s are nice too, better looks and the comfort factor isnt compromised too much unless you have really low profile tyres.

As for wider at the rears.. you dont need wider rears, but some people go with them just to help put the put the power down.

I think you'd be best getting a couple of cheaper tryres that need replacing right now, and save a little more for a full replacement set... unless someone can help you out. :)

I would stick with 235/245 the front and 255/275 at the rear.

colin been tryna call ray but couldnt get through, can you ask him to give me a ring if you speak to him? cheers m8 sorry for thread hijack

Thank you for the offer i appreciate it, im just going to buy some new ones although im not sure which ones. Its my first time ive ever been able to afford new alloys for a car! hahah.

Are the ones at Halfords etc then are they generally known as not being very good ie sub standard materials or is it just the brand name you pay for?

Bloody wheels.....damn you Supra for looking so nice with them!

I think the problem with the brands from halfords is quite often the rims are not wide enough, they cater more for the hot hatch type of cat where a 7 " rim is fine.

As stock the supra uses 8" and 9" (16 " wheels) or 8" and 9.5" (17" wheels)

If your looking for some rims try and stick with the above widths. I personaly would get a better quality second hand rim rather than a slightly lesser quality new one.

Good luck with your search, have you contacted the traders in the traders section yet ? pro alloys, whifbitz, Envy (no particular order by the way ;) )

They can all advise you much better.